1991 Accord blue smoke- ideas?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

so this Accord of mine has always puffed a little blue smoke from the tailpipe when 1st started, but it's been getting worse and worse, and now it seems to be taking increasingly longer before it stops smoking after being started. This morning it was really hard to start even it usually fires right up and it continued to smoke for almost 10 mins.

I'm guessing the problem is either the rings, the head gasket or that oil seal in the head that the F22s have...

Is there any way to figure out which is causing the problem without just starting to throw parts at it?

I would start with valve seals. By the sounds of things, they will most likely help. They aren't very expensive and won't require the removal of the head.

Usually a puff of blue smoke at start up is a sign of a need for new valve seals

I would nix the head gasket, I'd expect white smoke if the head gasket was leaking.

I'd place bets on the piston rings if you swear the valve seals haven't failed again.

so is it usually more common that the oil rings leak due to being worn or just getting gummed up/stuck and not retaining tension against the cyl walls?

I remember from working in GM dealerships that when a lot of older GMs would develop the smoking problem, it would usually be that the oil rings would just get gummed up and stuck and most often it could be cured by running a few treatments of top engine cleaner through. I just happen to still have some cleaner laying around and have been thinking about throwing some in, but it's basically a solvent that eventually leaks down past the rings into the oil, so the oil gets ruined and you have to change it right away, plus you usually have to run it thru at least a few times which ends up being an assload of junk oil. And with the price of petroleum right now, I'd rather not be doing 2-3 oil changes back to back if it might not even help...

any thoughts?

how many miles are on the motor?
i have seen many honda rings get all gummed up and bound in the piston...
i would try the cleaner...
3 oil changes = under 50 bucks?
re-ringing = headgasket, etc etc etc...
try the cleaner

ever hear of sea foam?

well the top end has 108k on it and the bottom end has around 130k (previous owner chucked a rod so the bottom end was replaced).
I started running the cleaner thru earlier today but ran short on time and had to leave for work, I'll continue screwing around with it tomorrow.
One thing I did notice when pulling the plugs tho, there was some oil in each of the spark plug tubes so it definitely needs tube seals (again?). I have heard that this can cause smoking since the oil can work its way down the spark plug threads and into the cylinder, but I dunno- seems pretty unlikely but I could be wrong...

sea foam might be next if this doesn't work

check that shit out first. then try seafoam. it works great, but if you have neighbors do it while they arent home. I scared my neighbors when i ran seafom through the lude. they thought i started a fire or somethin.

hmm... seafoam makes alot of ugly stinky smoke? I don't exactly like my neighbors on the one side, I could wait till they leave and run an exhaust hose from the car into their house and let er rip :bday:

Back