1991 Civic DX Tranny Swap! NEWBIE

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

betulie11

I Have A 1991 Honda Civic DX With An Automatic Tranny That Just Went Out. I Am Going To Swap To A 5 Speed But I Just Bought This Car Last Friday And Have No Idea What Trannys Will Fit.

a d series tranny. Correct me if im wrong but i think you need a ECU, linkage, shifter, and clutch pedels. I would find another automatic and put it in.

If you want to swap out the tranny find a mini me swap and do the whole thing.

just My opinion. also My eyes work pretty good and don't see the need for bold big font. Please dont do that

The left motor mount (closest to radiator) must be changed for a MT one too. Dagnasty got it right; ECU, complete linkage, pedal assy, clutch cable, flywheel, clutch, flywheel plate, little bits and pieces....

Then you have to wire the park lock out switch to a closed circuit so it will start (easy), then you have to cut out the tunnel shift boot area from a 5 speed car and weld it (or half ass bolt it in like me :no:).

I did this on my old '90 Civic Si when I was 15. Very easy cause I had a parts car.

Last edited:
u only have to put the automatic shifter either in park or neutrel u dont have to do any wiring and u will b able to start it without using the clutch

Well once you take out the auto shifter there is a fat plug with two black wires on it. It lets you start it when in park or neutral. When unpluged the circuit is open all the time and it will NOT start. Either cut off the plug then solder/heatshrink it to have a closed circuit or the proper way is to wire in the clutch switch (that will come on the pedal assembally) so it will start when the clutch is depressed. Like it should OEM.

:D

Back