1991 Civic hatch SI project . Any ideas??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zdrum16

V8 killa
1991 Civic hatch SI project . Any ideas?? picks posted now!!

New to the forum thing so thought Ide try it out while I build my new baby.

A 1991 Honda civic Si (Canadian spec with no rear disc breaks)
body was untouched with a blown d16y6..never had a cleaner one or seen one for that matter here in Colorado. I paid 250 for it and then picked up a freshly rebuilt b18a1 with 0 miles.My plan is to switch out the LS tranny internals and replace them with the type R final drives and gears as well..then I have a 5 puck raceing clutch and a speed shift kit with short throw shifter Ill put on. I have allready installed the ecu in the car and am getting ready to put the motor together and finish up the tranny work.Car also has clean untouched si interior and a working sunroof with everything on this car being original exept the motor Ill put in.

so anyways I'm wondering if anyone has anymore ideas that I could do to the car with out makin it vtec or turbo to make it faster...any ideas?..oh and how the hell do you post picks on the forum from your computer..Ill add the picks of everything asap..thanks

Last edited:
ok you can post pictures after you get the green horn status off. << you have to make a certain amount of post. you could put a b16 tranny on it and it will give it good acceleration. not really much you can do with just putting on bolt ons. unless you do a turbo or nitrous. i could be wrong im not the best but that is what i learned.

Thanks man it what I thought..i knew bout the b16 tranny idea..i have another civic same yea but wit the jdm b16.. It gets thr kib done to say the least..but have u or anybody else heard of an overdrive pully? Ideas anyone?

Sorrybout spelling posting of my new phone still getin used to it

i dont know much about them some other people on here do. i think most people say there not worth and and usually are not good. i could be wrong tho.

from what ive heard people have had problems with aftermarket underdrive pulleys due to the fact of them not being balanced, ive heard the type r pulley is the best route to go since its an OEM part, not sure if it'll work on ls though, but i wouldnt see why not.

type R pulley also has no AC rib... but it should work for you.

if this car is going to see any highway/daily driving, id steer clear of a b16 trans. the car will sit at about 4k RPMs at 70mph, that is neither good for the engine or gas mileage, and its flat out annoying if you have an exhaust.

also, the B18a1 isnt much of a platform for all out performance out of the box. you cant expect anything too crazy out of bolt ons, it requires extensive work to get the engine to make any power naturally aspirated. that being said, a properly geared transmission will help the car feel more "peppy". im gonna suggest a GSR transmission, due to the fact that the gearing is proper for a daily driver, but still more aggressive than the sluggish setup in the LS trans.

ok thanks guys..I looked at a civic with the ls and it had an over drive pulley and it felt the same as a normal ls maybe a little more pep but not much.Like I said I built another civic that has a b16a (jdm second jen b16a) it has the gsr cable tranny..I like that set up a lot but I just dont see a whole lot of peopl here on CO that have the LS setup..so thats why I'm doin it. But for the tranny on my ls I'm changeing out the ls gears and final drives with the gsr ones..so ital make the gears a little quicker but still have a slight feal of an ls..I know the ls isnt the best building block but Ive never don one..Ill probly boost it when taxes come back..

quistian: does anyone know if I have to buy a diffrent size timeing belt to fit the OEM true time camgears to fit on the ls?..I found a set brand new in the bone yard for my ls..they were layin in a scraped civic..Ive allready in stalled them on the cams in on the head but wondering if Ill need to now buy an after market belt. I do know that I had to cut and shave my falve cover to get them to fit. Any sugestions???

so yes or no..the type r pully would or wouldn't work on my ls?...

any ides on where I can find the rear cargo cover for my SI?..that's the only piece I'm missing on the in side.

shoot me some rep guys..wana post picks and get ideas...

you shouldnt have had to shave your VC for the cam gears to fit, ive never had to do that. and you can use an OEM belt as well, no need for aftermarket.

the type r pulley will work on your LS, is it a good idea, i cant say for sure. ive always stuck with OEM because the risk just isnt worth the gains for me.

also, its not rep that you need to get out of greenhorn status, its posts. believe its 15.

ok thanks..I did have to shave the valve cover because when I put the gears on and then put the valve cover on the head the cover sat on the gears no room for the belt at all..I was wanting to cut it anyway for looks..something different for me..and its cool that a regular belt would fit but the pully is not a good idea huh?..thanks for the info

does anyone know if there are any mods to do from another honda or maybe integra that I could do to the interior?

yeah, the pulley is just an added uncertainty that you honestly dont want. typically the simpler you can keep things, the better.

that is odd that you were forced to shave the valve cover. i dont think i have ever had to do that. but, as long as it works, its all good :thumbsup:

as far as interior mods, i believe you can do something out of a DA integra.. quick search yields the following:
DC integra center console will fit almost exactly, apparently it needs a couple of screws to be mounted up perfectly, but its very close and doable.
DA integra front seats will fit, but only 3/4 bolt holes line up, so youll have to drill the last one.

other than that, an extensive amount of work is required to change any of the other components, something i presume you probably arent interested in.

Thanks man...i know u can put the crx dash and the center peices as well but its alot of work..im just lookin to do a few mods on the inside here and there to make it a little diffrent..i dont think ill bother wit the over drive pully..sounds like to much of a hassel.

Does anyone know where I can get tower bar mounts for my civic..my friend gave me some obx-r raceing strut bars for the front and rear and upper and lower but they dont have the brackets for mounting on the strut bolts on the top and all..know its a long shot but any ideas would help

i got my strut bars off egay for cheap.....sell me your si door panels!! and front lip! lol i have a mint si interior minus the door panels and i can not find any anywhere

Haha then I would have no door panels lol its gard enough to find a clean one in colorado as it is..cash eh trade if some sort?..looking for an after market stearing wheel? Anyone got one?.
.yea the car is damb clean with every option possible exept disc breaks in rear but those will come soon.ive allready put some skunk 2 coilovers on it and a set of enkies..ital be painted like a white type-R..ill be posting picks as soon as I can..

Im looking for a raceing stearing wheel for my 91 si!!! Anybody got one?

I know you said you don't want to do vtec, but just steal the head off you B16 and enjoy the newfound power.

Thanks man...i know u can put the crx dash and the center peices as well but its alot of work.

No it's not; it's bolt-in. I have CRX door panels, dash, and center console in my Civic. I also had a DC Integra gauge cluster but my brother-in-law has it now(I think it's just sitting somewhere); but will go another route with the gauge cluster.

Any Honda seat will fit if you swap the bottom seat pans.

I don't think hydro transmission parts swap into cable transmissions except for a specific cable one(I forgot what code, but it's specific). A short transmission on the highway is completely fine if you can deal with the noise; most Hondas get good MPG if you let them rev anyways(I managed 57mpg highway in my Civic with a short-geared D15B VTEC; 4000rpm at 70mph)

+1 on the GSR transmission but it's hard to find one(at least a cable one anyways).

If you're talking about a CTR crank pulley, skip it. Balance is not the issue, it has to do with torsional vibrations: B16s can get away with it much better than even D-series(FYI; the CTR is a B16), but I won't go into the specific reasoning in this thread. Skip pulley in general as you're not going to see a large net gain anyways.

Just stick with your (quality) bolt-ons. If you're going to skip VTEC, you can still get a decent set of cams(regrinds if you're cheap), other OE pistons(ITR, B16A, GSR, etc.) to bump up compression, and of course get it tuned. Nitrous is also easy power, just don't get carried away with it.

Back