1991 Civic Si brake proportioning

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

More aggressive rear shoes like Porterfields R-4/R-4S(R-4 are race pads btw). There's not much shoes to pick from, but there's a lot of front pads; so just find a slightly less aggressive front pad in comparison to what's used in the rear.

Thanks; that's actually an old picture and it'll look different hopefully by the end of this year (it'll definitely output more power though ;) ).
Cool. I'll look into the Porterfields for the next change out. They are pretty good now, but ultimately could use a bit more in the rear. Particularly on wet streets when braking is diminished and the weight transfer front-to-rear is diminished.

And yes, drilled rotors have less mass. In some ways they could flow more air for cooling - but experience tells me the more metal in the rotors the better. If they heat warp once, turn them straight and they will warp faster after they have been turned.

I was out in the shop a few minutes ago and realized yes, I'm tweaking the brake system more than probably the average driver. Consideration is being given to a "Sweet spot" if you will for bias under all conditions. Wet, dry, straight, turns, and if clutch is in or out and flywheel is in the equation. Sometimes a downshifting scenario is used to stop quickly, but generally a fast stop is clutch in and using the pedal and steering if necessary.

I'm thinking on dry pavement, with max deceleration available the most rear to front weight transfor occurs so bias is more towards the front. Now on wet pavement the negative G forces are lessened and resultant weight transfer from rear to front is decreased, so the bias for optimum stopping will be more towards the rear. When it's there, on a dry stop the rear should lock first and on a wet surface the fronts will lock first.

The karts brakes are setup just a tad different from one another. The shifter is more front agressing because it's about downshifing while decelerating and the Rotax is more towards the rear so the back will break loose just before the front end lets go. I want the car to behave more like the Rotax.

Here's a pic of my ride.

PICT1603%20%28Large%29.JPG

Last edited:
Back