1991 civic std. swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicracer10

ok so i have a 1991 honda civic std, someone told me that its supposed to be carburated, but mine is injected.It has D15B1 engine and i want to do the b16 swap.What exactley do i need, and can someone give me step-by-step instructions. I have never done a swap before, and i just need some help,maybe tell me where i can get all the parts cheap, or any help at all would be appreciated..thanks

first off, to swap any engine with Multi Point Fuel Injection (MPFI) into your car which was equipped with Dual Point Fuel Injection (DPFI), you will need to make the wiring changes for converting it from DPFI to MPFI using the engine harness that came on your car - to swap a B-series engine into your car will require you to swap out the front knuckles/hubs for ones from 88-91 CRX/Civic DX, Si or LX - if you wanted larger brakes, you could also use the knuckles, hubs and brakes from a 90-91 Civic EX - for a B-series engine, you will need the B-series engine, transmission and ECU for that particular engine - you will then need to get a mount kit from someone like Hasport.com - you will also need a modified shift linkage - from there, it depends on which engine and transmission you get and whether you want to run it as OBD0 like your car is now or switch it to OBD1 - you will need different axles, depending again on which engine/transmission you get - you will really need a complete new exhaust system as the STD exhaust will not get the job done with a B16 swap - you will need several little things, like a different fuel line from the filter to the fuel rail, hoses, a second O2 sensor and a rear mount that attaches to the engine - for the B16 you will also need to do some additional wiring above and beyond the DPFI to MPFI changes in order to accomodate the VTEC, knock sensor and second O2 sensor - not an easy swap for someone that has never done one

how much do you think that it will cost for all the parts...roughly

how much do you think that it will cost for all the parts...roughly
roughly:
B16A engine, transmission, ECU - $1600-2000 (depending on which one you get)
mount kit - $300
shift linkage - ?? maybe $150
axles - $200
knuckles/hubs - $50 ??
header & exhaust - who knows - could be anywhere $300-600
misc parts - (you really should replace timing belt, water pump, crank seals, pan gasket before you install it) add whatever, like, cap and rotor, spark plugs, plug wires, hoses, rear mount, coolant, oil and filter, etc. - $200-300
probably will need clutch and resurface flywheel - $150 - could be more depnding on what it is

looks like roughly between $2500-$3000

Last edited:
B16=ghey

look into the DOHC ZC. uses stock mounts, and when you convert to MPFI this will plug in perfectly. You can even use your stock tranny, which I wouldnt reccomend, you will want a 5 speed DX or Si. PM me because I have one. DOHC ZC> B16

I have a 88 with b16a that runs and drives for 2000.00 Im not sure if I want to give up or finish it. Its a driver and very fast.

Back