1991 Crx Dx D16z6 Help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

svcrx

Okay I droped this on CRX Community as well. There seems to be more activity on this Forum though.

First off I have searched the forums but cant quite seem to find what I am looking for.

Okay so I am not the smartest person alive. I bought a 91 "DX" sight unseen from a friend of mine that knows nothing of cars that lives in AZ. He told me that the car was all original as far as he knew and according to carfax thee weren’t any problems. The only thing I know going in was that it had some heating issues and a lot of the accessories (Heater, radio, climate controls) weren’t working, and I had "Custom exhaust" which means some smart guy welded the header to the resonator and the resonator to the cat back and it was held on with bailing wire. No biggy I want a DD for work cause the retards in the parking lot keep dinging my doors. So I go up and I pick up the car and its in rough shape but I was in a rush and didn’t even pop the hood. I had to got 200 miles I felt it could make. Yes yes I know not very smart. I was a nice day in the 70s but after 157 miles I see a puff of white come out from under the hood! I am think crap there goes the head gasket, but thankfully it wasn’t. It was the radiator reservoir and then it expelled all the contents of the radiator. Well I am not one to be angry I had half way expected something bad to happen. So I called the AAA (So worth it) to tow me for free the rest of the way home. I get it home and I am not in a rush to look at it because I have several projects going ('62 Bug, '66 Bug, '47 Studebaker). Well I finally get to it last week and I pop the hood and something isn’t quite right. I see a 91 crx with a non DX engine, and the letters VTEC right on the valve cover. Oh! crap. After scraping and wiping the oil on the car I find the Stamp D16Z6. WTF is that? So I wiki it and find it comes in 92-95 Civic EX/SI. Okay no biggy lotsa parts.

So to the first part of this project and my first request for help.
I luckily live in southern AZ and I don’t have to smog. So all I have to do is a VIN inspection, but if the see a major defect they can kick me back. The biggest or the loudest thing I have to worry about know is the "Custom Exhaust". The weld broke where the resonator and the cat back meet and it is FREAKIN LOUD!!! And all the gases come right into the car so windows remain down LOL.
So what will work with the D16 header?
Can get a regular CRX cat back or do I have to have a 92-95 hatch exhaust modified?

I will post Pics tonight!
Wait to you see the wiring and the fuse box!

POST 2!
To begin with I am not worried about the car. I do buy cars unseen fairly often. Its a little bit of a game and I only spent 500 for the car so I am not to worried about it. But I havent done a honda before. I did have a 95 dx 4dr but I just threw money at it and didnt learn anything so it wasnt all that fun. I am concerned about wiring because I have never done anything as invloved as this car. I tend to work on older Bugs and I have a 1947 Studebaker so Computers in a car are new to me.
So please if you have any insights or Ideas please feel free to post. I am just gonna assume everybody here thinks I am turdboy that doesnt have a clue so please no flaming and please only post constructive ideas.

Okay here are some pics I think they may be a little big though.
Here is my leaky Valve Cover of love!
I just got the gasket kit for it and will be working on it tomorrow
ValveCoverleakylove.jpg

Melty fuse box!?
No sure how to address this.
FuseBox1.jpg

FuseBox2.jpg

My Engine wiring
I couldnt get all the aangles I wanted but damn near every wire that has been spliced wasnt cover. Just bare wire wrapped together....FUN!!!
Never done wiring like this before.
EWiring1.jpg

Ewiring2.jpg

EWiring3.jpg

EWiring4.jpg

ECU and harness inside the car. Some of the Pics are kinda blurry but you get the idea.
The ECU does say P28 so I think its the correct one well as far as what I have read in the posts anyway.
ECU1.jpg

ECU2.jpg

ECU3.jpg

ECU4.jpg

ECU5.jpg

ECUP28.jpg

And the Battery with the CAI.
At first I couldnt figure out why he had put the rubber thing on there, I stared at it for a bit and all things were made clear.
I will be moving the battery to under the on of the storage bins behind the front seat and will got with a short ram intake in the future.
Battery1.jpg

Battery2.jpg

the good is that you have a very reliable strong motor the bad is that wiring looks horrible. i had a headache just lookin at it. i have this swap in my 91 hatch and my wiring is pretty clean for it being my first swap. i wouldn even know how to explain how to fix it. does it at least run?

yea like they all said you lucked out when you popped the hood and saw a z6, plus the previous owner did a obd1 conversion(allbeit a very bad one) and you scored a p28. so at the worst you can sell off the ecu and motor and still break even. but your in for a very long project if you plan on making it look pretty

Back