1991 crx with 94 d15b7 please help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

first off let me say whatsup to everyone as this is my first post on this forum i deff plan on posting way more, seems like the good forum for help :)

but now on to my car, I have a 1991 Crx that i got a few months ago the guy i purchased it from said it used to have a gsr motor in it but he bought it as a shell, and for some dumb reason he swapped in a 94 d15b7 with dpfi this i know because i found the stamp.

now the problem... i want to swap the motor out for a d16y8 or similar motor now my check engine light is on but idk if it is obd1 or obd0 and i dont know what ecu is in my car.

so my question is how can i figure our what obd my car is and what ecu is in it? and if they will work with the d16y8 and if not what i need to make it all work, also i was wondering if there was a way to find out what tranny is in my car as well?

the motor in my car is blowing serious smoke and it is my daily driver so i am going to have to do something soon. and sorry if this post doesent make sense im really really confused on whats going on in this car:confused::confused:

thanks in advance for all ur help

look in passenger footwell for maybe a metal plate. behind there is the ecu. if it has a small glass "peep" it's obd0. on side of ecu is a label. what are the middle 3. like pm6, p28, p2p.

thanks so much for your responce. it has the glass peep with a red led that flashes, and the label says 37820-pm5-a09 there is also a blue stamp that says 90.30.02. so i am guessing it wont work with the d16 because it is obd0 and the d16 is obd1? how would i make them work together? sorry im pretty new with hondas and im desperate to make this crx quick the two injector wonder sucks. is there a better easier swap to do?

Thats the stock D15B2 ECU, as long as the DPFI intake manifold is in place it should be fine. Count the blinks on the ECU, that will tell you the problem.

first suggestion ditch that y8 idea. obd2 is no fun. go with a z6 unless you plan to port or upgrade the oil pump on your y8. They suck bad. but if you insist the best ecu for the y8 is the p2p but you can run a stock p28 with a jumper harness with no problems. y8 is obd2 by the way z6 is obd1.

what you would need to convert to obd1
obd0 to obd1 conversion harness
obd1 distributor (make sure its one that fits your engine)
obd1 ecu (make sure its one that will work with your engine and trans, auto or manual)
4 wire heated O2 sensor (preferably one with Honda connectors)
obd0 engine harness

thanks and this guy i know has a d15b7 that doesent blow smoke and this other kid i kno has a z6 head so could i use the b7 bottom end with the z6 head and use the p28 after swapping to obd1?

I know its been resolved but wouldn't dpfi point out that it as obd0...? just for future reference.

thanks so much thats my new plan any good suggestions for what kind of adjustable cam gear i should get to zero out the timing?

Back