1992 Civic DX Sedan Build Suggestions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

|Chaz|

VIP
So I want to build my Civic. My horsepower goal is 225 hp. Naturally aspirated since I'm looking for maximum longevity. I hope to get at least 100,000 miles out of the build. Originally my horsepower goal was only 200, but I drove an LS VTEC Integra with a supposed 190hp and it seemed slower than I expected even once it hit VTEC.

I'm planning on using it for autocross, and daily driving. My budget is 3k-3.5k.
Is my horsepower goal possible with my budget? Or do I need more money when I'm talking 225hp? What would be best to meet my needs? Oh and my Dad and I would be doing the work.

Is it possible to build my Civic with my budget to have approx 225 hp, last 100,000 miles, cost less than 3k-3.5k and still handle well? Or is it a pipe dream and should I wait until I have more money.

Ah, okay. For 3k-3.5k what kind of power am I looking at? And exactly how much more would I have to spend to meet those power goals? I just can't get myself to spend more than I paid for my car for modifications, maybe if it was a hatch or a coupe. But no one is going to buy it from me when I sell it eventually since it's a sedan. Cause I doubt I'm going to want a Civic forever so I don't really want to lose too much money.

I don't understand why people think turbo is so unreliable. If you use shit parts and don't tune it, then yeah, but if you use quality components and have it tuned well, then there shouldn't be any problems. It's really dependent on the tuning.

Turbo is certainly the easiest and probably the cheapest way to create upwards of 200 wheel horse in a Civic. An N/A build is the hard, expensive way to go fast, and reliability can be just as much of an issue, since you'll probably need to bump the compression way up and replace the internals for sure. A 225+ horsepower N/A build is probably going to surpass your budget real quick.

Ok so, it seems like turbo would be the best way to go about making the power I want. My question for you guys is, with the right parts and a proper tune, how many miles should I expect it to last?

Back