1992 Prelude Surging Idle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Foxracing9076

I just got this 92 prelude. It's all customed out. the only thing is when you start it cold it will idle surge...rpm's droping and rising repedatly until u press the gas or until it warms up. if u drive off before it is finished warming up it will continue to surge until it heats up and will then stop, and runs great after that. I have tried cleaning the EACV, and when i put my finger over the bottom hole leading to the FITV and there is no suction so i asume the FITV is good? i really dont know what to do...i'm not loaded with money but i'd like to find the issue causing the car to idle surge.

here is your problem

make sure all of your vacum hoes are connected right any leak will make that happen but since it stops after warm its probaly not a vacum leak, next it can be your idle control valve its on your intake manifold on the front side. (facing your engine not firewall). and last but not least your tps sensor. its on your throttle body. when i had this problem i just orderd a new throttle body well used off ebay. and when i changed that it fixed the problem i was jumping for joy! i hated when my car idled like that. its harder to find just the tps sensor and replace it then the whole thorttle body. good luck buddy hope that helps

I have Taken the IACV off and cleaned it...i asume it is working fine...but i will have to find out about that tps...thanks man

So I solved my problem a few days ago, although the FITV showed no sign of malfunction when i "tested" it by checking for suction, i still decided to touble shoot the valve anyhow. I took the FITV off and disasembled the part, spraying each peice with WD40 then drying it. I put the FITV back in place...and it ran great! I'm so glad I decided to take matters into my own hands instead of paying the dealership more....From What I'v found there are a few things to check for if you have Surging idle: Vaccum Leak, EACV(IACV), FITV, or the TPS. I hope this helps you with your idle surging issues, as i know other threads helped me to determine mine.

cool stuff bro glad you got the problem fixed. i bet your so happy that shit isnt jumping RPMS any more. lol i think thats the most anoying thing that can happen to a car. lol ( hence anoying not worse ) :D

Back