1994 Accord EX project in south FL.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey everyone. I just bought a 94 ex accord, with what I think is a blown head gasket, for $400. Im not an expert with a wrench, but I got the jist. The car has 240,000 miles on it, so now im thinking, Is it worth putting the money towards a new head gasket or save for a new motor. I got excited reading post about the h22 swap being almost plug and play, but the more I researched, I realized its not so simple. If I got to get a new motor, I would love to do upgrade, but i dont have a huge budget and I also dont want to get over my head with trying to do this myself. About 10 years ago I helped a buddy drop a B16 in a 93 hatchback in his front yard. It took us about a month to do and when it was complete, it started but had problems. I believe it was because has was trying to still use his DX harness and ecu. If any one has some suggestions for me or just tell me I gave away $400, Please let me know.
pics-Ride | Facebook

$400 for a working car isn't bad at all. I would skip the head gasket and just put another engine in, or completely tear down and rebuild/upgrade what you have in the car already. You could always turbocharge your F22 block- they make really good power on boost- and you would avoid the H22 swap headaches (but take on the turbo ones).

Thanks for the input. Im not the richest guy in the world be no means, saying that, what is the price difference. im seeing the h22 (97+) i gonna run me around 3,000$ and that me doing it myself. the h22 (200hp) looks like it would be around 2,000$, i dont know if that is even worth doing. again thats me doing it myself, i dont know if i even have the skills to pull it off. i see i can get a used f22b for like 700$. which is the smartest route?

Well, do you just want to get it running or do you want to try and get more power out of it? If budget is a major major concern, I would either just forget it, or spend a LOT of time reading up on engine rebuilds and homebrew turbocharging. I don't know what your mechanical skills look like, so you'll just have to judge for yourself what you're willing to take on.

Personally, I would rebuild the block that's inside the car with really cheap forged pistons and rods, then go for 300whp on a turbo. That's what *I* would do though, and I have quite a few more resources at my disposal than most people on this board.

if all your wanting to do is fix it then just change the gasket end of story or swap out another f22 block, and where about in south fl are you?

Back