1995 Civic DX with D16Z6 won't start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

murray195

Well this was supposed to be a straight forward swap:
1995 Civic DX Special Edition with a tired D15B7 and auto transmission
D16Z6 as the replacement motor

It's all OBD1, but the Z6 didn't come with a harness, so I swapped the B7's harness over while both motors were out.

PROBLEM: The motor cranks but doesn't start.
There is spark
The fuel pump turns on
Fuel comes out of the fuel rail when I disconnect the return line, so I assume I'm getting fuel
It seems like the injectors aren't opening and the fuel is going right back through the return line as the spark plugs aren't wet. I've checked all 4.
I've checked all three grounds in the engine bay and double checked my connections.
It's my understanding that the main relay controls both the fuel pump and injectors, so am I right to rule that out?

Anybody have any ideas?

code 4

I checked compression when I got the motor and it's good. I'm getting 12V to the injectors and I have spark. I'm getting a CEL for code 4 (CPS). The distributor came out of a running car and all I did was plug it in. Would the crank posistion sensor cause this? It has fired a few times for me. It fires almost instantly if I fog the intake with a tiny bit of carb cleaner.
thanks,
Kayle

Last edited:
***Update***
I held the distributor for the d15 on while my gf cranked it over and it fired up fine. I'm guessing it is the distributor...

It was the cps in the z6 distributor. Its all up and running now. The cps in the distributor is non serviceable, so I figured it was pointless to swap in the guts of the d15 dizzy seeing as the cps would still be causing problems in the z6 housing. But thanks for the replies people!

Back