1995 Honda Accord

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cwblky

Hey everybody im new here and in need of some major info. I just got this accord and finally got to talk to the original owner today. He did alot of work to this car including swapping the engine out. Dont know what it had in it probably the factory one but now it has a 2.2 VTEC. And he told me that when he swapped the engine he didnt "hook up the VTEC"? Meaning didnt put in the VTEC computer or Vtec wiring harness. He didnt have the time to do it. And that I could do it just wire it right and put on the right Intake Manifold. Everything works on the car far as electrical, its just Sluggish, and its a 5 speed. Is there any truth to this and if so can this be done, will it help anything, where do i start, and how much am i looking at to make the changes. Any info would be a great help. Thanks:confused:

Last edited:
Ok so by sluggish do you mean that its just a very slow...like takes a long time to get through the gears and up to 7 grand? I didnt have a VTEC wire hooked up for awhile and I just dealt with it being slow for awhile...but once I hooked it up...I felt a HUGE difference...If it is a Factory VTEC it is probably a SOHC F22B1 Hope this is a start and helps out somewhat...but if it is really slow...VTEC needs to be hooked up

thats exactly what im talking about. Like when your taking off it barely wants to go but once u get going it will go. and yea when u shift to each gear its slow. Any ideas on how to hook this up and what parts ill need.

Well for me it would start out fine but just move up the RPMS slowly...really slow...I didn't connect the wire myself and a friend of mine did...I think all that You need to do is hook up the VTEC wire to the VTEC Solenoid...do some research for more info...Im not the best with motorwork at all...normally my dad does most of the work...but I think all you gotta do is connect it to the solenoid...hope this gives you a start...but you will be happy when you have VTEC finally working...Should kick in at 5500 RPM

First of all the vtec is located on the back of the cly head. Not the intake . You will need a poa ecu . Gotta be a vtec ecu for the vtec to operate. To wire up the vtec . You need to take the vtec all the way to the ecu. I dont have the pin location at hand . Or you can get a 94-97 accord ex engine wiring harness. Must be a 5spd. Replace the ecu and wiring harness will solve all your problems. Or replace the ecu and learn how to wire the vtec to the correct pin on the obd1 harness .

a vtec motor running without vtec is going to run like shit !!! So acting sluggish is normal right now .

img2168hy4.jpg

Let me correct myself. If he swapped the motor is shoud have came with the harness. If you find this plug on your harness that is plugged up to the vtec (as shown in picture) Then all you need is the poa ecu.

Appreciate all the info everybody yall have been a great help, oh yea and by the way what is a poa ecu?

Im assuming this is the VTEC soleniod it has a wire harness but its not connected. well cant get the pic to upload but im sure this is it.

oh yea another stupid question, where in the hell is this computer located, under the dash.?

Im assuming this is the VTEC soleniod it has a wire harness but its not connected. well cant get the pic to upload but im sure this is it.

If the wiring harness doesnt have this green plug on it near the vtec .. Then you will have to hard wire it to the ecu. If you see a plug on the wiring harness .. Plug it up to the vtec.

I need some pics to help out more..

oh yea another stupid question, where in the hell is this computer located, under the dash.?

Passenger side floor board. Under the carpet. Under the protective kick plate. There is 5 10mm bolts holding the kick plate over the ecu

ok there is a a wire coming out of the bottom of the solenoid like in the pic u posted but there is no green harness on the side of it. But this wire has a harness on the end of it and its not connected to anything. So what connects to this? The new harness and ecu, ? Sorry for all the questions dude but im all the way illiterate when it comes to this kind of stuff.

this help any

Attachments

• accord2.jpg
    accord2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 2,574
  • accord3.jpg
    accord3.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 7,554
  • accord4.jpg
    accord4.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,577
If that's the motor that the previous owner swapped in, it's really not much of an upgrade. I was thinking you had the dual-cam H22 Prelude motor in it. That's just the single-cam EX Accord motor. Yeah it has VTEC, but SOHC VTEC isn't like dual-cam VTEC. It's more for fuel economy than for performance. That motor only has about 15 more horsepower than the stock engine, so even if you do get the wiring straightened out you still shouldn't expect it to be crazy fast.

All 90-97 Accord engines are 2.2 liters. The only difference is the 94-97 EX models got VTEC and slightly higher compression. Honestly I don't know why people even bother swapping to the EX motor. You could make up the power difference with bolt ons, and the non-VTEC block would work just as well for boost. The only reason I would do it is if the old motor was toast and you could pick up an EX motor and ecu for cheap. How many miles does this car have on it by the way?

Anyways, sorry for the rambling. My point was don't expect a huge power gain when you get the VTEC hooked up.

yea the dude said the old motor threw a rod or something, and i didnt really expect to get alot of power boost but just to run better. Like i said its just sluggish, but that bolt on idea sounds like a good idea, what could i bolt on? lol
and the car has around 140,000, not sure on this motor though.

Alright I have to break it down now.

The vtec has 1 wire for the oil pressure switch and there is a green plug for the solenoid ,coming from the engine wiring harness and connect to the VTEC. If your wiring harness does not have these to plugs for the vtec you need to hard wire them back to the ecu. Which you need the correct poa ecu first. Or if you feel uncomfortable with that then buy a wiring harness for a f22b1 accord motor. Specifing either 5spd or auto. If the motor swap was done it have came with the correct wiring harness. Maybe they didnt change the harness.

Bolt ons really dont do much for that motor. F-series love boost. I say save your money and get a nice turbo setup . Tuned right you can see some good power . over 200whp for sure.

oh by the way . Boosted F22 @ 10psi will smoke a stock h22

Back