1995 Prelude swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brianteel

I am going to be doing a swap for a friend. Right now the car is a automatic and i am not sure on the motor. What is the best motor that can go in there (looking for performance)? Also has anyone done a manual swap in this car before. I have done one in a 1992 Civic and i am just finishing one in my 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Money is not a problem here just finding the right parts and the best setup for this car........no one say sell it and buy a manual because that is not going to happen

thanks for the help

Get an H22 engine (either USDM H22A1 or JDM H22A) with a matching tranny and P13 ECU. Definitely your best bet.

If you're doing an auto->manual swap, it should be almost the same process as the one you did on the Civic.

If it's USDM, the engine code H22A1 only came OBD1, so you're good there.

If it's JDM, most H22A engine codes are OBD1. Usually, when you order the engine, you'll tell them what OBD classification you need. The year itself foesn't necessarily matter.

And yup, the auto tranny will bolt up to any H22 engine with little to no modification. You'll need to switch over the plate and stuff from the auto-equipped engine, though, if the engine came from a manual H22.

thanks any more info would be great...i am doning it for someone else and he is not sure how he wants to go about it yet

The H22 has an auto LSD version(JDM). The LSD is cool, the gearing is less than perfect. I'd check into an aftermarket torque converter to spin the engine higher if performance is your goal. Otherwise, either buy a stick or live with the regular automatic.

The Auto H22 is still quick and fun to drive. The main downfall is the launch from 0 mph. Once in VTEC, it's all good.

Back