1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1996 Accord Ex, Steering and Suspension issues.

Discussion in 'Accord' started by Ichigo1174, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Ichigo1174

Ichigo1174 Member

Florence, SC
    Alright as the title states I am driving a 1996 Honda Accord EX. I am cheap and realize that I need to replace a bunch of little things and need to pick up some tools so I am trying to do them by priority in a timely manner.

I know a lot of random things about cars but through the power of Youtube I have found that it is easy to learn alot. Eric the Car Guy helps a lot with how to's to fix and search for answers. I have been hearing some clunking and stuff in my car and I have been needing to replace the right CV Axle so I figured I should try and see what all might be wrong and replace a few things or bushings.

Yeah The CV Axel was making some noise and i can see why.

Now the next two things that really caught my eye were the upper and lower ball joints on the right side as well. I mean they had some play and if they broke... wouldn't the wheel fall off? Essentially?
    Backside of the upper ball joint, it can dance around a little bit.

Lower ball joint, it too is ripped and can do the shuffle (a little bit)

So i have ordered a right CV Axel, a upper control arm, and a lower ball joint. I was going to try and replace all three. I was like dang, I really only started because I wanted to replace an axel and to get a set of tires. I know some places will not do an alignment with bad suspension parts so I wanted to replace a tie rod.

On the left side the outer tie rod looks fine as far as the bushing/joint. Right where the bend is in the middle of the joint (i guess this is the inner tie rod) is where it is loose. There is a lot of play in the joint. :/
    How Difficult would it be to replace this?

Also the right side of the Rack and Pinion is leaking PS fluid. Not very fast but it is leaking and I want to fix this after summer unless it gets too bad. Do I have to buy a new/remanufactured rack or can I purchase a seal kit and rebuild it?

Then later I will replace the sway bar end links and maybe the bushings as well if they are bad.

Yes I know it is very dirty in my car and it looks like I spray under there with oil but I promise you all I don't. There is a leak somewhere... probably the oil pan seal but I'm not really worried about it.
  2. SloMoJoeGo

SloMoJoeGo Gearhead extraordinaire!

Be worried about the oil leak, it's likely the valve cover gasket, and/or the VTEC solenoid, and/or the distributor seals.
    IF those items are not to blame, you're likely looking at a rear main seal. That item requires your tranny to be removed, if not the whole she-bang pulled to accomplish, google the part for an idea why.

Most of the rest of that is simple to accomplish.
    ebay and google man!

All the tie rods/ball joints/axels, just be aware the special tools like impact driver and tie rod puller (which you'll potentially need for lower ball joints) Can NOT be forced, yeah you gotta wallop a tie rod puller, but don't have your buddy hold the puller while you slam it with a 30lb sledge!

Steering, I know little about the Honda power rack-n-pinion, but ebay and google know a lot, look for parts, new ones, rebuilt, rebuild kits, etc, this will help you determine cost as well feasibility of rebuilding.
Draft saved Draft deleted