1996 Civic Ex Coupe Problem?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
hey, i got a 1996 honda civic ex coupe (stock, cept for the cai)
and at 90,000 miles the "service" light came on....

it went from green to yellow.

so i changed the plugs, cleaned out the cap.

then i hit the little button on my guages to reset the light.

everything was cool untill this week at 97,000 the "service" light came on again (going from green to yellow)

i know these are just dummy lights, but what coulda caused the light to go on?

Originally posted by liquid00meth@May 5 2003, 10:32 PM
I'm sure there is a dusty book located in your glovebox called an owner's manual

whats your point? :lol: :lol: :lol:

i asked WHY this would happen. i am pretty sure they do not go into that much detail
in the owners manual. second of all, the car was bought used and did not come with a
owners manual

:angry: :angry: :angry:

For the most part those indicators are timed to your odometer (at least with OBD1 cars, I am not sure if the newer cars are "smarter"). It's telling you that it is almost time to service it again (based on mileage, not on the performance of the car).

Originally posted by lsvtec@May 5 2003, 11:24 PM
For the most part those indicators are timed to your odometer (at least with OBD1 cars, I am not sure if the newer cars are "smarter"). It's telling you that it is almost time to service it again (based on mileage, not on the performance of the car).

does this apply to swaps as well? cause my engine is obd1 and my odometer reads 124xxx. although the mileage of the engine is closer to 65xxx. ive never seen any lights or anything, just curious.

Originally posted by lsvtec@May 5 2003, 11:24 PM

ok. but the light turned from green to yellow @ 90,000 miles.
i performed routine maintenance, then hit the reset button.
light went back to green.

7,000 miles later, the light again changed from green to yellow......

i was wondering if this is a dummy light, OR that light is connected to the ecu
and is telling me there is something wrong....

amyone?

It's not a light, is it? At least mine isn't. Mine is just a colored square that changes every 7,000 miles or whatever it is. Like lsvtec said, it's timed off of the odometer and has nothing to do with the performance of your car. I let mine go to red once, just to see what would happen. Nothing. So I reset it and it went back to green.

The only light that comes on to tell you something is specifically wrong is your CEL.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi+May 5 2003, 09:33 PM-->
@May 5 2003, 11:24 PM

does this apply to swaps as well? cause my engine is obd1 and my odometer reads 124xxx. although the mileage of the engine is closer to 65xxx. ive never seen any lights or anything, just curious.

Your car doesn't have this indicator.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@May 6 2003, 11:16 AM
It's not a light, is it? At least mine isn't. Mine is just a colored square that changes every 7,000 miles or whatever it is. Like lsvtec said, it's timed off of the odometer and has nothing to do with the performance of your car. I let mine go to red once, just to see what would happen. Nothing. So I reset it and it went back to green.

The only light that comes on to tell you something is specifically wrong is your CEL.

you are right accord, it is a small square underneath or right below the speedo.
its colored green and goes to yellow. i had no idea that it was supposed to go off
EVERY 7000 miles. i thought it was 30k or so.

coo coo.

Originally posted by karnash+May 6 2003, 12:29 PM-->
dohcvtec_accord
@May 6 2003, 11:16 AM

you are right accord, it is a small square underneath or right below the speedo.
its colored green and goes to yellow. i had no idea that it was supposed to go off

coo coo.

it is every 7,000 miles... after driving your car for 97,000 miles i would think you would have noticed by now :lol:

Originally posted by B16+May 6 2003, 07:39 PM-->
Originally posted by karnash@May 6 2003, 12:29 PM
dohcvtec_accord
@May 6 2003, 11:16 AM

coo coo.

it is every 7,000 miles... after driving your car for 97,000 miles i would think you would have noticed by now :lol:

i bought the car used. only had it for 8 or so thousand miles haha

yeah, its supposed to change to yellow at like 6000 milesor so and red at 7500 miles. Its more for people who know nothing about cars telling you to take it to honda for their 7500 mile check up.

when the light comes on hook it up to an obd2 scanner and see what the code is, maybe this will give u an idea of whas happenin in that beast u call a civic. with obd2 your in trouble when it comes to codes, just so u know.

Originally posted by cheesyweesy@May 6 2003, 11:48 PM
when the light comes on hook it up to an obd2 scanner and see what the code is, maybe this will give u an idea of whas happenin in that beast u call a civic. with obd2 your in trouble when it comes to codes, just so u know.

what the hell are you talking about? its a routine maintenence light that comes on regularly after a certain number of miles. Even if it was a cel having obd2 doesn't matter, you shove a paperclip in the jumper and the light flashes out what the code is telling you exactly where the problem is.

Originally posted by cheesyweesy@May 6 2003, 09:48 PM

:bash: :axe:

its a routine maintenence light ... change your oil or whatever and reset it... when its orange or red again .. its letting you know its time

Back