1996 civic ex sedan what motor to put in ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

poorboy15

I have a 1996 civic and I am looking to swap my d series motor and I was looking towards a b series motor but I am looking to push in the 200 hp range should I put a b series motor and possibly turbo it or put a k series and run it like that or would it be cheaper to put b series and add stuff ? thanks davin

well on that budget scratch k series out, 200whp on that money will take a turbo, so turbo what you got or swap in a b series.

Agreed, doing a K swap even close to the right way will get out of your budget. Best bet is a GSR motor/transmission. You will have a lot more fun that with your d series and the options for more power are nearly limitless.

Type R motor is great, but mostly if you dont plan on modifying it. B16a is ok, but kinda weak, better off with a gsr swap.

For that budget you could maybe swap in a B-series engine, and that would be about it...no building, no turbo.

Just turbo the D-series. 200 wheel horses, fairly easy, and can be accomplished within your budget if you shop around...

thanks guys I was hoping to run my motor in the ground now its the D16y7 non v tech so should I get v tech d series and turbo it like u said and not have to Change alot of things

and a Honda gsr motor thats a 1.8 and would u know any sites that would be good for me to look at and price out all this stuff

if you want to stay with your current engine the d series, instead of swapping for another d series id just put a y8 manifold on the one you have then turbo it.

thanks but my d series now in my car has alot if km like 200000 + so should I save and run the motor into the ground then swap a b series and turbo that ?

if I turbo a D series my bottom end will handle the power or would I have to support it ?

it would handle up to 200hp or 7500 rpm what ever comes first, your best be would prolly just do the swap to b series.

id spring for the b18c, and yes you would need mounts linkage and axles. and i would go 94+ year model.

drive it till it blows up, if you have never done a swap before (considering you are making a thread to ask which to swap too, not a bad assumption to make) , pick you up a obd2 d16zc , which are direct drop in swaps for d-series chassis , you will have a significant power gain just going to that healthy low miles swap, get yourself a good CAI and full exhaust, pick up any sort of street-able aftermarket cam, good tune, and you will have a perfectly reliable dd'able swap making good power and still economical, when you have the desire for more power from there, slap a turbo on it, call it a day , have under 2k in everything and have nice name brand parts

would anyone know where to get a good d series motor at all and how much roughly thanks

Back