1996 Integra Build (B18B1)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

change your pcv valve
I pulled the PCV and inspected it by what my brother said to look for (shake it, make sure everything still works, then blow through it) and it *seemed* to work. obviously that line runs to the intake manifold, could the obstruction be elsewhere or should i replace the PCV anyways since i think it is the original?

It's like an $8 part and is replaced in a few min... it's worth changing to rule it out as an easy first step.

a little bit of blow by is normal, but the pcv is supposed to catch it

This seems to have started around the same time as I installed the CAI instead of the short ram, and I went from having a small filter on the breather valve to a hose running directly to the inlet on the intake arm... this makes me wonder if the main issue is pressure not being able to escape via PCV or the other piece (i can't think of the name but if you find the pic of my engine bay you can see the hose running to the intake arm) maybe this isnt allowing enough air to escape and the pressure is what's causing it to burn oil?

So I finally cracked and went to the Old Man for advice. He thinks its valve seals. The machine shop used very cheap seals to rebuild the motor and he suspects that valve seals are more of the same. From what I understand this make sense because on startup the first rev always has a slight hesitation like it's clearing it's proverbial throat which can be oil leaking into the cylinders via valve seals, and he said that when I engage the clutch it smokes which would be the cylinders sucking oil into the cylinders and at high rpms with the valves moving rapidly it could cause more leakage in the chaos of the motor.

Sounds like Old Man 1 Logan 0, what do you guys think?

Yeah, do the little breather thingge on the valve cover and cap off the CAI with a nipple and hose clamp.
I would do that and a new pcv before i tear anything inside apart

Yeah, do the little breather thingge on the valve cover and cap off the CAI with a nipple and hose clamp.
I would do that and a new pcv before i tear anything inside apart
I changed the breather-CAI thing and it still smokes a ton when I jump on it so next is the new PCV which I can hopefully get to tomorrow.

Well we officially have a larger immediate problem than the oil burning lol. I put the car on the lift to install the A/C belt again and get that system up and running, and I noticed the helper mount sitting pretty weirdly. Then I noticed the motor sitting weirdly. Then I noticed I had 1/3 driver's side mount bolts left. And I didn't realize until one drill bit (R.I.P) that the mount bracket is impossible to drill through lol. So I'm assuming I'm gonna have to go Helicoil right?

Helicoil kit installed, car feels better and a little sturdier but now it's burning oil worse than it ever has so I gotta get that addressed. Pulling the H22 out of my prelude this weekend hopefully gonna make some money off that.

LSV is just extra work and money I'd rather put into this head with the stage 4 cams springs retainers etc. Besides that I think it would be cool. "VTEC didn't kick in.... yo". Not everything is about maximum efficiency.

The gain going lsv is the compression ratio bump but you are correct if it was me I'd have the head shaved and new valve stem Springs and aftermarket cams

VTEC heads do flow better so I'm gonna have to spend some time and money trying to make the LS head at least comparable. I've heard various opinions on whether or not I should do valves or not, but I have more people saying not to worry about it for my goal of around 350-400whp

Started pulling the motor out of the prelude, got the front subframe out, axles, vacuum lines, etc. Got a friend coming down to help to drop it, I like to set a rolling plate underneath it and lift the body off the motor and it really helps having two people for that.

Motor is out! Got the swap listed on CL for 1500 lets see what happens. surprisingly I think my net time in all of this was only like 6 hours to remove everything.

Attachments

• 20160409_143955.jpg
    20160409_143955.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 313
  • 20160409_153453.jpg
    20160409_153453.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 266
Ive not seen a full h22 swap not from a importer sell more than 700-800 bucks here in the last few years, d/b/f/h swaps are beginning to be a thing of the past, not bashing or being rude but they dont pull that kind of $$$ anymore

There was a sketchy looking one in Orlando with no pictures or details for 600 and an importer was selling a jdm one for 1500 but those were the only two for sale so I figure start high and see where it goes. 1500 seems like the higher side of the current price spectrum but I'd rather start high and go lower if I have to. I included a video of the motor running and the odometer, and it comes with EVERYTHING like i dropped it from the car, ecu and harness included. imo that kind of certainty is the type of thing you pay a little extra for rather than take a chance on a cheap one. I have someone coming by to look at the blue teg monday as well and he sounds serious.

Sidenote on the Preludes I've had the prelude SH seats in my Teg for a couple months now and if anyone is looking for a cheap seat upgrade, I gotta say I really like them in my dc4. Got a set out of a junk yard for 50$ and swapped the sliders from the oem seats

Back