1996 prelude S--F22a1 to H22a1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Beezer34m

black 1996 SLUDE
Hi everyone, I recently lost my civic but gained this 96 base model prelude. The whole car is completly mint, very nice looking buuuuut its got the f22a1 non Vtec motor in it. I know the car is also obd2, so that may have to be converted also. My question is that I am fearing I bought a really hard year to do a swap on. I have read other posts were people converted from the f22b vtec, but i havent seen anyone convert from the non vtec. I have a few questions that I have not been able to find on the forums. Thanks much

1.) I know the h22a1 should bolt up with no problems, should I buy nicer motor mounts. There is about 122,000 on the original mounts?
2.) When i get the motor should I buy just a motor, what accessories need to come with it. I am really having alot of trouble figuring out what will convert over from the f22a1 to the h22a1.
*I know the tranny will bolt right up to it, the fuel rail I am almost positive will work.
3.) EXHAUST!!!--I think this is the biggest fear, I know i will need new headers and a downpipe, but what about the cat??

Thanks

1: no the stock mounts are fine

2: most everything will. make sure you get an ecu with the motor, and try to keep the same OBD

3: a cat is a cat so long as the flanges match up. If not cut them off and weld the proper ones on, or have someone weld them for you.

being the car is a 96 and obd2 i will need to get a 97 or up obd2 h22?? they are alot more, could i get away with a 95 or below??

you could get obd1 just have to do some wiring or get a conversion harness

how do yous think the emmisions and inspections will hold up to that i have heard it will pass and that it will fail?? really confused about this...

i realize this thread is about a year old, but i'm desperate, you wouldn't by any chance have the obd2 f22a1 engine harness lying around anywhere would you? i need one last week...and the computer for the exact same motor? has to be manual trans...
please have it...

look just get a h22a with tranny ecu and axles. its not a hard swap to do! then have fun!

Back