1997 auto to 5 speed computer issue.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Warrior 3000

ok so this guy is about to sell me his 97 civic to me. it was an auto 97 AUTO civic CHANGED to a 5 speed. the auto ECU was still left in the car. the car ECU gives out a cheack eninge light and some other bad codes that doesnt let the car pass inspection. the guy BOUGHT the right computer for the 5 speed tranny but is NOT installed. he did not install it because when he plugs it into the tranny it gets rid of the check engine light but gives out other bad codes cause the WIRES are still for the old auto ECU. he said it needs different types of wires and such. how much will this cost me at a shop?

with the 5 speed computer in it gives out a bad idle air control valve code. but i dont think theres anything wrong with it cause the car has been running well for over 10 years now.

1 reset the ecu, I don't know the procedure off hand, probably just unplugging it.

However if it is giving error codes other than just for the automatic soleniod with the auto ecu it will still give you the same code with the manual. Find out all the codes you are getting with both ecu's and troubleshoot from there.

There's a good chance that if there's codes being thrown on 2 ecu's there's something wrong with the engine. Could be as simple as something unplugged or switched.

Back