1997 Civic DX Into 1995 Del Sol... Bolt right up?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jisakson

Hey guys,

I just got a 1995 Honda Civic Del Sol with a D16Z6 in it, I need to replace the engine and I have a 1997 Honda Civic DX with a D16Y8 I believe. I was going to put the Y8 in... will this bolt right up? Do I need to swap anything from the two engine? What do I need to know before I do this swap?

Thanks

there is a few things you would need to do. If it is a dx it is a d16y7 motor. So you need to convert the whole car to obd 2. You will also need a dx ecu, and a new wiring harness, or modify your old one.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
you also need to replace all fluids, oil and tranny fliud. Make sure you also buy some good Honda obd2 blinker fluid.

Funny....

I can't just use the OBD2 ECU from the 97 DX? And I can't just use the wiring harness from the 97 DX?
You might be able to do that, you will be missing the green plug.. i never tried to run the obd2 harness down into the car, good luck.

If the DX is stock, then as stated above, it is a D16Y7, non-vtec. So doing this swap, you will be losing the VTEC portion.

as for swapping the harness, if that's what you decide to do, it's quite easy, and takes about 15 mins to prep the harness to be pulled from the ecu to out into the engine bay. Once into the DelSol, just reverse the process.
This will (again, as stated above) make the Sol an OBD2 car, now, just so you understand. It isn't a bad thing, just something you should be aware of.

The ECU plugs from the harness fit through the firewall one-at-a-time, just take your time, as not to pull any wires from the plug..
It's a one-piece harness from the engine to the computer..

Oh, and yes, it will bolt right up to your existing mounts/trans. A D is a D. :wink:

Okay I think I pretty much understand... it sounds like I only switch the wiring harness then... unplug the obd2 harness from the obd2 ecu, switch it to the del sol and plug it into the del sol ecu? is that correct... or do I pull the dx ecu as well, and put that in the del sol? and do I need anything to fit the harness to the obd1 ecu if thats how i go?

Back