1997 Civic Dx With Blown Motor!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

edwardsirignano

What Motor is recomedded to swap in a 1997 Honda Civic DX? Also was wondering a ruff price of what it would cost? THanks

Go with a b16a sir2, will run you about 2300 i think. Email Hyrbrid Revolution about pricing, here is the siteHyrbrid Revolution I believe since you have a dx you might want to get stronger SI axles.

Hope that helps

Actually you don't really want a siRII in that year due to the OBD That car is OBD II and the siR II is OBD I.A B18B,B16A2 or a B18C1,B18C5,can be had in the same obd.Yes you wil need to get the axles,tranny,mounts and shiftlinkage,along with the ECU from the new motor.

need more info to your question like do you plan on drag? or possibly every day driven? autoXing? all those questions factor in to what kind of motor you want to put in...

peace!

It would be a daily driver car. Not really street raced, I just wanted to put a better motor in than the stock one now that i *HAVE* to swap. Im looking for something with the lease amount of customizing and modifing.

what exactly is wrong with your current motor? I would swap a y8 vtec head on it and have a nice mini-me swap. Yield roughly 135 or so crank hp, depending on the setup and condition of the motor.

Need

y8 head
y8 IM (complete)
timing belt for yr of head you get
i would upgrade water pump (i think the vtec ones flow more)
y8 head gasket
y8 ECU

That could be had for around 500-600 depending on the deals you get.

If you HAVE to replace your pistons in your motor.. get some ZC pistons and with that setup up there, you would have roughly 11.0-11.5 CR. Maybe more/maybe less.

Get all bolt ons and have a decent motor for around 1200-1300 bucks. Later on swap in a EX tranny (i would go 92-95 a little better gearing). For well under a swap, you have a motor i think you would be happy with.

Of course a b-series can make more power, but as i was explained, the mini-me would have more tq then a b16a2 with bolt ons. (and the mini-me is far less in price)

Originally posted by edwardsirignano@Feb 16 2003, 03:31 PM
It would be a daily driver car. Not really street raced, I just wanted to put a better motor in than the stock one now that i *HAVE* to swap. Im looking for something with the lease amount of customizing and modifing.

Then either the mini me or a swap.It depends on how you look at motor work,really they but aren't that hard,just depends on what you want to do.

No shit smartass. A blown motor could be an array of things. That is why i asked what the exact fucking problem was.

edit - to some bad rings = blown motor... or a rod through the block = blown motor.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Feb 17 2003, 10:42 AM
... or a rod through the block = blown motor.

;) that is a blown motor.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Feb 15 2003, 11:59 PM
Actually you don't really want a siRII in that year due to the OBD That car is OBD II and the siR II is OBD I.A B18B,B16A2 or a B18C1,B18C5,can be had in the same obd.Yes you wil need to get the axles,tranny,mounts and shiftlinkage,along with the ECU from the new motor.

I totaly agree with that, a b16a is all good and great but for a few hundred more why not run 20 to 30 more hp. I went with a 00' b18c1, with a few extras internaly, like type-R piston's rod's and cams. if you are going to do the swap, do it right with the b18. :ph34r:

go with the b16a from the civic si 99-00. its the easiest swap for your car as you use the mounts from it to bolt it in. the gsr will require 2 mounts form this motor anyway.

you will need to do an obd2b -> obd2a ecu conversion. there are harnesses availble. and wire vtec and knock sensors.

other than that, it will go right in with out much trouble at all.

well if it's going to be a daily driven car and not really raced just go with the mini me. because it doesn't sound like you're going to go all out anyway, just to bring you from point a to b. you could get another motor like a b16 or b18. but save yourself some money and go mini mi, just trying to save yourself some money homie!

Originally posted by sweetcivicinlex@Feb 25 2003, 06:36 PM
You should go with the b16a2 sirII, thats the same thing im putting in my 97 honda civic dx. you should go to www.hybridrevolution.com . i got mine there for $1900. its a hell of a buy.

B16 sir 2 is a good motor, but if you have obd2 car, you have to convert the motor to obd2, add another o2 sensor. Its easier to get an obd2 motor.

I still suggest the mini-me, since you aren't looking race, rather just a little more power for driving.

What exactly is wrong with the engine? It may be cheaper for you to drop in a low mileage D16Y8 and hook up the wires for VTEC than to custom build your engine with a VTEC head, and have to play around inside to get it all back in running condition.

The D16Y8 is what came in the 96-2000 EX, and it's rated at 127hp. It's not a bad engine, and it'll be just as easy to drop into your car as your stock engine, save the VTEC wiring and need for a different ECU or a VTEC controller.

I'm with the idea of a B18B. I just put one in my wife's 93 and it made a HUGE differance! Note: On 92-95 civics, EX hubs must be used (im not sure on 96 and up?) Also, part of the inspection process on obd2 cars is matching the vin given by the computer against whats stamped on the car. Be careful swaping computers, I found out the hard way.

I have the same problem as preluder... i have a '97 Civic DX..except my motor isn't blown..i just want to swap it..everyone's been telling me to go with the H22..i want to go with something fast..and be able to build it up..but spend less than 5k...any suggestions? or should i go with the B20 with B18C5 heads? or just build a B16 and go with that? what should i do? i want it to be as fast as possible...without having to live on corn flakes and water for the rest of my life.

Back