1997 CX Hatch + B16A2=A decent car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kahulia

Well, after the Turbo Del Sol was stolen a few months ago, I got stuck with a 1997 CX hatchback. And I'm sure many of you know that the stock D16Y7 leaves much to be desired. I've decided to stick with all motor until I graduate from college and stuff a B16A2 into the ol' CX and boost it sometime down the road. But, I have a few questions...

1. As my last car was OBD 1, I'm completly unfamiliar with any kind of OBD conversion. I realize the easiest thing to do would be keep everything OBD II and find a 1999-2000 Civic Si engine, but those are hard to come by. If I was to stick with an OBDI engine what would I need to do to make everything run properly? (Electronically I mean...)

2. Whats a reputable B-series motor store online? I'm always looking at Hmotorsonline.com, but i'm just trying to find a place of similar quality with "competitive" prices.

3. Is a NA B16A2 actually worthwhile at Denvers altitude? I'm not asking the typical "DooD! While diz shiz be phatty fast y0z?!" I've just never been in a B series car at altitude, only Turbo D's, so I really don't have anything to compare it to.

Thanks for all the help and I look forward to an exstensive post count on a new forum!

Matt :)

I've always worked with OBD1 so I can't really help you a lot on your first question.

I don't really think there is any place for find motors online with the reputation and quality of hmotorsonline. Most of the other places that I've heard off all have a bad rap. If you can wait a little longer to be able to afford a motor from hmotors, I would do it.

Yeah the NA motor is going to be worthwhile at altitude. Just as a gauge, NA motors at Bandimere normally run about a second slower than they would at sea level. A b16 in a Civic CX is still gonna give you plenty of power for now. You won't be stuck at 30 driving up in the mountains anymore thats for sure.

If you want to stick obd2 its really not that hard, just get an obd1 b16 , like an sir2 or a del sol vtec, and rewire it for obd2, most of your cx junk will work like your harness and your injectors. Its not that bad but smog legality would be a problem. Also finding an obd2 p30 is impossible and gsr p72's will throw a code. Your best bet is to get an obd2a to obd2b conversion harness and get a civic si ecu. OR just say fuck it and go obd1, more options that way, have fun buddy.

So I could easily swap in a B16A2 (from a 92-95 SiR or Del Sol VTEC B16A3) either one being OBDI and convert the wiring with a harness, find some axles and shift linkage and I'd be good to go? That seems a little too easy... Is it possible to run the SiR2 engine on a OBDII ECU from a Civic Si?

Check out nipponmotors.com for the motor. I got my dohc zc from there adn it was beautiful, great customer service, and the way they ship the motors is perfect(protected and stable)

Back