1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1998 Accord 2.3 4cyl VTEC - QUESTION?!?!

Discussion in 'Accord' started by kazzmataz, Feb 23, 2007.

1. kazzmataz

kazzmataz New Member

Hello, this is my first post so as I see how the communication flows on this site I will get to writing!
    I have a specific questions, but just to put it out there I have pretty much owned only Hondas always, bought two brand new Civic SI's 2002, and whatever the last year was before they made the new hatchbacks.
    I just bought a 1998 Honda Accord with 22k ORIGINAL miles on it, true lil ol' lady driven to church, is like a brand new car, with a stack of dealership invoices where they sold her every maintenance option available, timing belt changed at 19k miles, tires rotated with every 3750 oil change, you get the picture - its like new. It is all stock.

***OK QUESTION(S):
    1998 Accord LX , It has a 4cyl 2.3 liter VTEC, auto trany.

- 1) It has surprising power, and I want to know at what rpm points does the VTEC "kick in," advance timing, etc??? I know there are lobes on the cam per Honda for "low rpm" range and "high rpm", but I want to know, is the cam shifting at 3000 rpm or what?

- 2) I see a lot of people identifying their Honda motors as b1424, etc etc, what is mine?

- 3) If there is any etiquette on this site let me know, or ways to get answers better, etc, places to post, you name it and I will take the advice.

- 4) OIL - I went and got the oil changed right when I got it at the local honda dealer (cheaper than jiffy lube and I live in an apt so it sucks doing it here), and the put in 5w20 - that seems really light to me, and have heard that they put light oil in to get gas mileage, but I want protection and logevity! Its out of warranty so whats the best oil weights???

Thanks, RJ

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  2. powerdriverh22

powerdriverh22 Senior Member

you have an f23.

3. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

Honda motors use 5w 30

4. kazzmataz

kazzmataz New Member

Thanks bro! Ok now I have the type of engine answered and I know that the factory calls for that oil weight, but I have always wondered if it was to sqeeze out extra gas mileage, and if a little higher weight would protect the motor better???

5. eg6sir

couldnt tell you, i'm not a honda engineer

6. kazzmataz

kazzmataz New Member

SO is the f23 a good motor? Someone told me that this motor is solid but the tranys of this model year fail quick, any thoughts out there on the original trany? Its a 4 speed auto, oh yeah and does that trany have a model number like the engine being f23?

7. eg6sir

8. igotnothin

igotnothin New Member

i use 10w30 in my honda.... the engine is strong and all honda auto tranys are poop if you are looking to make power....

as for vtack engagment i belive it is around 4800 rpms,,,mabby 5200...i dont really remeber but it is around there.....search will find you all the answers you are lookig for

9. powerdriverh22

tranny and motor are strong.

10. hondaburner95

hondaburner95 Banned

f23 heads are strong but the block will break down after a beating. if you intend on beating it , other than daily driving, i wouldnt recommend it , you also have really low milage. TEAR IT UP. should last a while anyways

11. powerdriverh22

proof please. tell me exactly how the block will break down any faster than any other motor.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted