1998 Suzuki GS500E First, er... Second Bike

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Any recommendations for paint? I have the fairing repaired and ready to go.
so far I have this site ColorRite Touch-Up & Refinish Paints - ColorRite Z94 Aztec Orange

I really don't have anywhere good to go around here to get this done, so i will likely be doing it.

If I do find a place to do it, whats a fair price. I'm looking at around 60ish if i get the paint myself since I need to rattlecan it since I have no compressor here. How about painting the helmet the same color?
Beware of painting helmets. Sometimes the chemicals can eat through the coatings on the helmet and deterioriate it's effectiveness. I've never SEEN this result, but apparently that's what SNELL is all about.

im aware the possibility for the chemical massing up the helmet. I'll do my research on that, I just need to determine who's paint I will be using.

my 250 will do 130..... are you sure it tops out at 120?

My China reman helmet has saved my life 3 times now.

How are you getting a 250 to 130 ? I mean bouncing off the rev limiter was about 110.

And how is one helmet saving lives after 1 hit ?

Man, what the fuck ?

After an impact, you're supposed to replace the helmet. Cracks that you can't see could kill you next time. I'd say 3 times is silly. Go get a new helmet. Or, if your life has nearly been taken 3 times already, perhaps a bike isn't for you.

130 is obtainable because of my gearing and power, my helmet it perfectly fine and you have obviously never ridden where I live.

The front headlight cover makes that bike look like ass,

I'm a fan of the GS500, I'd like to find one around here for cheap, however, I'd do one of two things with mine, either keep it naked or do a street fighter front end.

This is a GSX-R1000 turned into a street fighter.

suzuki-gsxr-1000-extreme-graphic-img11.jpg

suzuki-gsxr-1000-extreme-graphic-img06.jpg

suzuki-gsxr-1000-extreme-graphic-img12.jpg

You should be able to find a front end like that, that will bolt up to the GS500, the big round thing you have now is just an eye sore, then again thats just my take on it and each to their own.

That thing looks sick. However my headlight is attached to the handlebars and not fixed to the frame there. I have the front fairing on since it cuts down a lot on the wind on my chest.

Anyway I not have just under 1000 miles on the bike since I got it. Lots of riding time lately. Had it to Baltimore and back and had a great time in the rain about halfway back.

It seems every time I have it out I always find someone trying to kill me or some instance thats a close call. Almost got taken out by a truck tire that blew out when I was in the rain riding in its tracks.

Last edited:
At this point I am thinking I need a little more

I may end up trading this bike for a 1990 Kawasaki ZX-10. Anything I should look out for?

I paid 1900 for mine, guy is asking like 2000 for his.. Probably get an even trade hopefully.

I thinking should get some better gear first to cope with wind chill since no matter what I seem to get or use it penetrates pretty bad. Not to mention better stuff in case I eat it somehow. Most likely I'll get hit by some soccer mom in a minivan not paying attention like they try to everyday.

Wow, you sound like me. But hey, glad to hear about the mileage you're racking up. A 1990 ZX10 isn't that all too fast of a machine. It's heavy and cumbersome. I have a friend here selling his 98 or so ZX11R for about the same price.

I'll get details. The 11R is nice, he's an old man and a decades-long rider.

I don't have the funds to buy another bike. As much as I would love to I would do that, I would have to get this one out first. The ZX-11 sounds awesome, but I really doubt the guy wants a smaller bike. I also have relatively low funds myself for trade especially since I'm taking classes.

Thanks though :D.

2004 or 2005 ZX10R IMO the best bike Kawasaki ever put out, also one of the best looking bikes at there, even 4 years later.

2006+ 10R = looks like shit.

0719081646.jpg

Update, about 1700 miles I think on it last I checked. Still running good, no real problems with the bike. My friend Joe's Ninja 250 in the background.

I did manage to scare the crap out of myself when I had to slow down quickly from 70mph and caught some gravel. Back end locked up and was sliding out a bit all the way down to about 20, and from about 40 drug my foot a bit to steady. Needless to say the soles are done for but I'm not ^_^.

Kinda surprised I didn't dump it at all, or feel like I was, trying to keep it that way.

Last edited:
Back