1999 Ford Windstar 3.8L V6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
Alright... I have the same engine as a 99+ Mustang V6... (for the most part anyway) in my work truck. Sometimes the needles like to go insane.

The other day the speedo stuck at 40, so I'm cruising in a 45 limit and I'm like fuck, not going the limit so I throttle it. Look down, still at 40.

So I hit the dash and the needles pop to where they should be and I'm doing 60.

Everynow and then they'll just flop all over the place, sometimes they'll stick etc.

Is this a mechanical issue with the gauges? VSS or any other sensors? ECU problem perhaps? Give me some insight before I wander into work and let my dad know.

remove the gauge cluster and see if the needle is sitting flush on the face of the cluster. i had (well still have) a similar problem in my Ranger with the temp gauge because i pushed the needle down to far onto the cluster so its stuck. i just need to fix it sometime...

oh and if that dont work for ya, then hell i dunno what to tell ya...

It's all four needles that do it... probably should have mentioned that.

Which leads me to think that it's a cluster (fuck) problem.

Ya'll shoulda seen the gauges today... they were dancing around like wacked out crack whores at a night club. It was funny.

Back