1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1G CRX Supension help...

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EW' started by skipntampa, Nov 10, 2006.

1. skipntampa

skipntampa Skippy

what is the best way to lower a 1g crx? ive read through the FAQ's, but im kinda lost...from what ive read on the factory srvice manual online, it seems I can just adjust the torosion bar, and its lower? It cant be that simple, can it? also, I noticed there are just 4 shocks and 2 springs, so, can I replace the front and rear shocks? if so, any advice for replacements? im really into auto-x, and I would like something that would make the driving response sharper, but dont want to ruin the daily driver ride quality...although i'll admit its stiffer than I expected....aslo was wondering what i can do to help reduce the body roll...

thanks again...

for reference, its an 86 crx si...

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

The fronts are torsion bars. Imagine a coil spring that's been straightened out- that's what it is. Torsion bars have a preload adjustment, so you just reduce the preload and lower the front. The rear is a beam axle (I'm pretty sure) that probably has coil springs on it that you'll have to replace to lower the back.

3. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

4. 87 Civic ZC

87 Civic ZC New Member

My 3rd gen civic is lowered. To get more than about an inch out of the front you need to slide the torsion bar out and respline the control arm. I did 2 splines and got 3.5 inches of drop. if you go that much you will bottom your front struts. i would suggest 1 spline. the back i used springs from a 88-91 civic coil-over kit. But just the springs. not the collars. Hope that was helpful

5. Joe nobody

Joe nobody 'Ole skool CRX guy

Not my original post but I've been keeping an eye on this one since I signed up and was waiting for someone to chime in on this with some first-hand knowledge. That will defenitely help me out hugely! One "notch" it is! (sorry that's an old VW term) :D
    Thanks bro.
    -Mike (aka: Joe Nobody)

6. SneakySedan

SneakySedan Junior Member

Remember the rear is a pan-hard setup, simply adding lower springs wont work. Because of the panhard bar when you lower the car the axle shifts to the drivers side, if you lower the rear at all you'll need an adjustable panhard bar, look around for them online. I've never done it because I like my ride height, but +1 on checking out redpepperracing.com, its really where you need to be with your car.

7. Installer1

Installer1 New Member

Ya, that is where you need to be, Red Pepper Racing , if you have a 1st gen crx or a 3rd gen civic. We live and die by those cars........

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted