1st gen Civic engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Pflipster

So I am new to Hondas and am trying to figure things out, so please point me in the right direction if I am not there.

Here's my quandry.

I have a '79 Civic Hondamatic. Body is in real decent shape, but the engine has thrown a rod, so I need a new engine. I've seen the other '78 Civic engine swap thread, but wanted to know even the feasibility of options I have.

I was initially looking for a typical year engine to just swap straight out. After reading the other thread, I see there are options available as far as other possible engines. As I was checking online for engines for sale, I found one for $100 that is out of a '91 Civic. I don't have the number on it so I can't confirm it's out of a '91, but wondering if anyone would know how much modification I would need to do to make this fit or if it is even possible. Picture of engine for sale is attached. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

-Flip

Attachments

• JDSWoEWWQgNj6Y44J4oyJwu3bR61.jpg
    JDSWoEWWQgNj6Y44J4oyJwu3bR61.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 930
Round II

So I didn't get any responses yet, but I have a new question that may be more precise.

After dugging around the net for the past several weeks and calling almost every yard in the Seattle area, I have had a real ahrd time finding a straight across engine swap.

I did find a site (We LOVE CRX! Official Honda CRX facts, pictures, forums, tuning, articles site: content / honda engine codes) that lists all the engine codes through the years and their sizes. So my question is on whether or not I am making a correct assumption.

According to the site above, the engine code that I have is an ED3

ED3 1.5 8V SOHC CVCC 3bbl Carb 1487 52hp@5000rpm 68tq@3000rpm

I am thinking I might be better able to find an 80 or 81-83 engine code EM1 and swap that straight across. They are the same size and CVCC in nature.

EM1 1.5 8V SOHC CVCC 3bbl Carb 1487 52hp@5000rpm 68tq@3000rpm 80 Civic
EM1 1.5 8V SOHC CVCC 3bbl Carb 1487 63hp@5000rpm 77tq@3000rpm 81-83 Civic

Is there anything else in the engine block shape or something else I am overlooking? Just trying to improve my odds of getting the Civic running sooner rather than later. Then I can do a series engine swap down the line.

Thanks for any help.

-Flip

Back