1st Gen CRX blown head gasket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alcapone

Hi im new to the Honda world (actually new to FWD engines)! Anyways to skip the small talk i have a BONE stock '84 CRX non-Si that when i got i suspected of having warped heads:( cause of white smoke (which i assume is coolant) coming from the engine bay. Well when comin home from an emergency with family car took a complete shit on me:confused:... i looked at the dipstick when i pulled over and the oil was white which means the radiator emptied into the oil pan.... so i am damn sure its a blown head gasket and the only way i can think of replacing it is pulling the engine which is fine and dandy but as i said i dont know FWD for beans so are there any tips for me please? or any particular way to do the pull? was just gonna start taking lots of pictures and disconnecting lots of vacuum lines... thx for feedback!

P.s. i tried a search on this and couldnt find anything so my friend told me u guys could help me out... again please and thank you!

Last edited:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont take out the engine. take off everything attached to the head. then take off valve cover, then undo head studs, pull off head. This should be step one lol sorry, but i assume you will read this whole thing before starting so anyways go get a new head gasket and some ultra gray or ultra black gasket sealer. now back to line #3 lol so you take off the head depending on the condition of the block and or head you may need it resurfaced if it doesn't look bad then just use a razor blade and remove anything on the surfaces. then assuming your block and head are fine put some gasket sealer on the gasket and basically put everything back together lol a lot of work but doable also make sure you have a torque wrench and sockets before starting and make sure you tighten studs and bolts to recommended torque hope this helps, other members please feel free to edit my post as I may have left something out. LATER

Back