1st gen crx si to vtec.....its gotta b cheap!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adamant527

I Have A 1985 Crx Si. I Would Really Like To Boost My Hp The Cheapest Way Possible. My Friend Has A 1.5 Vtec Head That Hes Willing To Sell Me. Im Just Curious If A 1.6 Head Would Fit, How Much $$ , Work, And What Parts Are Required To Make It Work.

One More Thing..........i Blew Out My Tranny(i Have No Idea What Really Happened) Would An Hf Tranny Fit?

I Have A 1985 Crx Si. I Would Really Like To Boost My Hp The Cheapest Way Possible. My Friend Has A 1.5 Vtec Head That Hes Willing To Sell Me. Im Just Curious If A 1.6 Head Would Fit, How Much $$ , Work, And What Parts Are Required To Make It Work.

One More Thing..........i Blew Out My Tranny(i Have No Idea What Really Happened) Would An Hf Tranny Fit?
it may fit but to go on the safe side do what we do when we want to make crazy head swaps. Go to an auto parts store and ask for the head gasket for the crx 85 block and another one from a civic 99 which has the d16y8 vtech sohc head and compare. I know that on a d15 block you have to move a cylinder head screw hole a little, but it will work.

the head will bolt on - the oil drain back passages don't quite line up, but may work - also, not sure if the oil jet from the block to the head is in the same place - i don't know what you would use for head gasket, but i assume the 1.6 (D15A3 has 74mm bore and Z6 has 75mm) - biggest problem may be the pistons - you have a 12 valve engine and on the exhaust side it only has a valve relief for one valve - other problems may be the timing belt set-up, as well as a distributor - would you be converting to OBD1 inorder to control VTEC with the ECU? - could also be a nightmare for wiring

ok........this would happen in the near future..........hopefullly..........ive also run into another problem...........i blew the tranny........i was wondering if the dx would bolt onto the si(i mean are the mounts the same) ...........i just need something to get me to work right now. id rather have the si tranny but ill deal.

SOHC VTEC heads and EW motors dont mix. I wouldnt bother with this because by the time your done customizing the thing, you should have gotten yourself a GSR swap.

You can however stick a D16a1 head onto the EW, but you'll have to use the D16 pistons. Its called a hydra.

Back