2 catalytics inline = emission pass?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

its b18c jdm so i assume 80k-100k? + another 15 i put on it, ihave sk2 im n toda reploca headers, im suprised numbers were much higher the 3rd time though :/ so what about isopropyl? Its 99% alcohol from pharmacies

It appears that isoproply alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is a surgical grade that is flammable. The denatured alcohol is mixed with other solvents or wood alcohol (menthanol) to prevent consumption. It also appears to be more flammable producing an almost invisible flame.
Do you have methylated spirits, boat/marine fuel, shellac thinner, or liquid fondue fuel? These are all alternate names for denatured alcohol.

I have used both rubbing and denatured alcohols for cleaning, working with shellacs, and surface preparation. The denatured is much stronger and effective so I would imagine that it would burn a lot cleaner too.
This year I got an old snowblower that hadn't been started in years running with a gas and denatured alcohol mixture. I couldn't get it to run right with just gas but adding the alcohol made it run good.

so fixed the gaps to oem specs, went to do the test and., now i failed co at 2500 rpm by 1.38 limit is 1,, hc at idle 346 idle is 200, and co at idle 1.27 limit is 1

#1 thing I would do: changing the cat for a new one? They get tired.

Seafoam works too.

Wouldn't hurt to look at the cap and rotor on the dizzy.

Good cat or cheap one? CA regulates their cats and must have a certain amount of plenium or whatever it's called. Guessing that's why CARB cats cost so much more. But even a cheap cat should work at first.

Seafoam is worth a try. If you are gonna put it in via a vacuum line....make sure you have someone stay on the throttle while the Seafoam goes in. It will bog down and need some throttle assistance to stay running.

vibrant 2'5 cat :/ i shouldve just put 120 in for the exxtra cat n done deal, wasted 120$ on tests already, ill put the 2nd cat in tomorrow and ill let you guys know how this gose

Not sure if it'll get hot enough to let the metal inside burn off stuff. Keep us updated.

Do you take the car for some beater runs to get the cat nice and hot? Get that thing heated up well before you go.

So with 2 cats :( i still failed

I passed HC on 2.5 rpm i passed hc and co on idle
I failed co on 2.5 rpm limit is 1.0 i did 2.19
Ive noticed my timing was advanced by 6 degrees so i retarded it back to normal, failed even more miserably.

my question is with captain phab will the car pass both 2.5 rpm part and idle part?

i feel like such an askhole :(

yes it will...

when the alcohol burns it creates water and CO2

What Is Ethanol Combustion?
Ethanol combustion can be represented chemically using molecular formulas. Ethanol, represented by C2H5OH, combines with six oxygen atoms denoted as 3O2. When the reaction is initiated through the addition of energy in the form of heat or a spark, 2CO2 and 3H2O (two carbon dioxides and three water molecules) are formed. Energy is also released when the reaction occurs.
no CO no HC
so regardless of whether it is idle or 2.5k its still not producing what the sniffer is looking for
you will still make some of those 2 because your car will still have some gas in the mix... but running a 75% or higher mix will have you burning extremely clean

the one caveat i must express is that alcohol does not like cold starts... so do not let the car cool down with the high alcohol mix in there... it may give you a hard time starting

drive the car around burning up the gas that is in there and getting everything heated up
get it down to the gas light dump in 2L of alcohol
then drive it some more (10 min or so should do it)
dump in the next 2L of alcohol
now drive to the testing location
keeping everything good and hot
get tested
profit ;)

after testing go fill up with your fuel of choice
and let me stress this again
DO NOT LET THE ENGINE GO COLD WITH ALCOHOL IN IT

this is my last option :( i hope it works, so you're saying i should just run to almost empty dump alcohol without filling up any gas at all on top? my light lamp comes on at like 2 bars left :/ which is still pleenttyy of gas imo

Last edited:
either one should work just fine... get the one that is cheaper (the bioflame has a bit higher ethanol content and seems to be about 1/2 price from what you found the capt phab for, so id probly go with that)

looking around on line i found that the integra has about 2 gallons (7.56L) of fuel left when the fuel light comes on...

drive it to the empty line... that should have you with about 1 gal (3.78L) left in the tank(??)
dump in 2 gallons of bioflame (7.56L)
that should have you at 65-70% alc give or take depending on whether your fuel up there already has ethanol or not (e10?) i can get you better estimates if i know if your fuel up there is already mixed with ethanol or not

that should be PLENTY to pass you through (without blowing 0.0s lol)

again keep it hot do not let the engine cool off with that high of an alcohol content or it might be a bitch to start

captain phab is 21$ bio is 25$ plus minus, but if you say bio has higher ethanol content should i go with it? :) ummm petro canada adds what they call "tactrol" to fuels and they are the only ones that sell 94...but tactrol is nitrogen...

those are both gallon (3.78L) prices?

i thought you were only able to find the capt phab for $13 per L
if its only $21 for the gallon (3.78L) than that is what i would go with

sure its only $8 but hey

either one should be good to use, they are both equal to or better than the denatured alcohol we get here in the US (45-50% ethanol, 45-50% Methanol, 1-4% Methyl isobutyl ketone ) http://www.rockler.com/tech/RTD20000136AA.pdf

so you should be good to go with either one

the "Tactrol" is a nitrogen detergent (i would assume similar to what Shell puts in their gas here in the US) and should make no difference in your outcomes, it is only there to reduce deposits and carbon buildup in the engine (allegedly)

So it says ethanol 90-10 so what is the other 10%? I would assume meth? But it doesnt say

Last edited:
Back