2 liter aba golf build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cxjon

a while back i started 1st stage of my aba 8 valve vw build and that is to buy the parts i needed. the whole plan is to swap a 2 liter block in while doing that it will bump my cr to 10.5 to 1 from 8.someshit to 1cr that it was at when i got it. since i am bumping cr i thought why not free up the head a bit, i bought bigger valves and all the other parts needed.... my car came with a header and cam, i need to mod the header because the new block is taller.

stage 1 buying shit
i have a list of everything i have done/ bought so far for stage one

this is the parts needed/wanted list, things marked in bold is what i have... more things will be added

- aba engine block
- valve cover gasket
- timing belt
- tt block off plate
- new fpr
- new chip [ no clue what to get yet ]
- tt dizy adapter
- new cam gear
- new valve cover [ not a big deal ]
- head work porting valve job etc
- new headstuds
- new valves
- new valves springs
- new valve seals
- new retainers
- rims
- BMW maf
- intake piping [ not a big deal ]
- intake filter [ not a big deal ]
- dtm muffler
- exhaust resonator
- exhaust piping [ not a big deal ]
- misc gashets ie head gaskets and oil pan
- tires [ spring time ]
- lowering springs [ spring time ]
- new stereo cd player/speakers
- new dash
- new seats
- body work and paint [ put off till spring ]

i will post pics of thing soon i have to go eat now

IMGP0900S.JPG

1.8v Digifant 8v not a gti :cry:
5spd manual transmission, clsoe ratio with 16v pressure plate and back up light
Momo Shift Knob
ABD short shift kit
Weighted Shift Rod
Vibratechnics Aluminum front motor mount
Brospeed header
K&N Filter
HOR Tech Street Cam 270
Rear Disc Converstion with '92 calipers
KYB GR2 struts
7" Single headlight/ grille conversion :cool:
VDO oil temp and coolant temp in place in custom plate
B-pillar seatbelt conversion
Simpson 4 pt harness included
Big front and rear swaybars, NEUSPEED =)

HPIM1520.JPG

tt chrome moly valve spring retainers
hd valve springs

HPIM1509.JPG

4 41mm oversized intake 7mm stem
4 34mm oversized exhaust 7mm stem
8 valve stem seals
8 valve guide-silicone bronze
16 7mm triple groove keepers

HPIM1573%40%40%40%40.JPG

metal head gasket
tt aba block off plate and bolts
tall block timing belt
and a oil pan gasket

HPIM1398%7E0.JPG

new rims off of a 84 gti :mrgreen: got them free!!

HPIM1488.JPG

valve cover gasket one of many gaskets to buy. lets not forget my vw bling the dtm magnaflow muffler

HPIM1489.JPG

my bmw maf owns all!

HPIM1485.JPG

i wasn't goin to buy this but i did its out of a 91 gti. looks the same as mine but its a red line dash and mint.... mine had a few cracks... got this for 30 dollars

IMGP1096.JPG

seats are off the list... these are a hell of a lot better then whats in my car. paid 50 for em they need to be cleaned up but they should look nice in my dub

god i miss my a2 gti looks like you got some good stuff for it though :thumbsup:

dsfsd.JPG

well i bought
a tt cam gear
a tt distribitor adapter kit thingy
and oem headstuds

the head is off and we are getting ready to pull the block

I had a GLI Jetta that I rebuilt...I drove the GL (8-valve) and liked it, but I was really turned on by the big difference in the 16-valve DOHC. It's hard to find a GLI around, but if you are using the 2.0 block, then getting the head off an older DOHC 16-valve Passat might make you happy...I was much happier.

I used the head from the passat on the 1.8 block and I was very pleasantly suprised, and you can come across older passats everywhere...Just a thought. Also, if you can find a GLI, they come with Ricarro racing seats stock...some of the most comforatable seats I ever sat in...

Good luck and have fun...

Lookin good!! I love old Vdubs! I know nothing about them really, but I likes em! :thumbsup:

Gimme a ballpark horsepower number that you are estimating with the 2.0 liter in that Rabbit?

i am hoping for 120 wheel hp and 130 torque no updates for a while... x mas puts off modding car

thanks to jon and jess for coming over lastnight and getting my POS computer back up and running. so here are some pictures. if you have any questions about anything lets hear em.

jon's head on the 1020 flowbench
Picture%20043%7E1.jpg

old intake valve next to the 2mm oversized valve
note how the stem is narrowed down to improve flow (honda did this with ITR valves) the new valves also feature a swirl polish
Picture%20045%7E0.jpg

then i took some old valves and made the "L" gauges, which show where and how much material to remove. the bowl area is then opened to 85% of the valve diamter.
Picture%20046.jpg

then removed the old valve guides, jon got new ones. the new valves actually have smaller diameter stems(7mm) for improved flow, so the old guides wouldnt have worked anyways.
Picture%20047.jpg

this shows some of the bowl work.
Picture%20048.jpg

note the port all the way to the left. note how the material has been removed around the guide hump. this was done to each one.
Picture%20049.jpg

this picture kind of shows where those guide humps were worked. they were slightly raised in to the port roof
Picture%20051.jpg

this picture shows the size of the bore on jon's new 2.0L block. note where i am pointing at. these areas of the combustion chamber were opened up to unshroud the valves. this usually picks up 3-4 cfm. the head will be milled to compensate for any loss of compression.
Picture%20052.jpg

here i am pointing to the short turn radius on an intake port. i worked these as they were pretty poor from the factory. on the exhaust side you want to leave these alone.
Picture%20053.jpg

ok more pics.
these are the polished combustion chambers. the whole thing will look acceptable once the head is milled. you may be able to notice the areas where the valves were unshrouded.
Picture%20068.jpg

here's an upside-down shot of the ports from the side. polishing the ports doesnt do dick for portflow, but i know jon loves the BLING! :wink:
Picture%20069%7E0.jpg

here's a shot down an intake port. note how the guide protrudes into the port so badly. this is a huge restriction , but it would hinder longevity if removed. the german engineers went out to lunch in 1978 and didnt come back until the mid 1990's to revise their head. it's evident here.
Picture%20071%7E0.jpg

this is a shot of an exhaust port.
Picture%20070.jpg

so there are a few pictures. i apologize to all you 56K guys. if you have any particular questions feel free to ask. i will try to help improve your understanding of whats going on. a lot of things are hard to see in the pictures if you dont know what you are looking for. most people look for a big-ass shiny port and say "wow that thing must really flow some air", but in fact some of those "pretty looking, huge ports" dont perform worth a ****.
notice how the port entry wasnt gasket matched or anything like that. this is the first place most people start grinding, but they are wasting their time and in most cases doing more harm than good. there is no restriction at the port entry on most heads. and the gasket manufacturer doesnt give a damn about porting heads or making stencils, keep that in mind.
also note there isnt any pictures of the valvejob. mostly because it is hard to get a clear, clean picture of them, and also because they usually remain trade secrets that dont get thrown around a lot, because that's usually where about half the gains come from in a ported head. a lot of time goes into finding the ideal angles and depths for particular valve styles.
jon's head recieved a 4-angle job on the intake side and
3-angle on the exhaust side, however.

well enjoy!

A friend of mine has a 91 Wolfsburg that he is sending to the junk yard... his tire flew off on the freeway and decided to take the drum with it (fucking weird I know lol) he doesn't want to fix it because he says he's put too much money into keeping it running good, blah, blah, blah but if you need more interior parts or anything that you might need, let me know and i'll see if he'll sell it to you before it goes to the scrapper.

Quoted post[/post]]
A friend of mine has a 91 Wolfsburg that he is sending to the junk yard... his tire flew off on the freeway and decided to take the drum with it (fucking weird I know lol) he doesn't want to fix it because he says he's put too much money into keeping it running good, blah, blah, blah but if you need more interior parts or anything that you might need, let me know and i'll see if he'll sell it to you before it goes to the scrapper.

what kind of seats does he have? and center counsol sp too?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

what kind of seats does he have? and center counsol sp too?
he has like gray-beige seats. Wolfsburg seats(don't know if that makes a difference) and I don't know about the center console, i'll check it out for you. but I don't think it's black. you were looking for black right?

the car is red, if you need a fender or hood, they are in good shape. couple dings, faded paint, you know little things you expect from a 15 year old car.

this is cool get a pic... i need it for rust repair and the arch needs to be in good shape. because i need it to be cut and modded to fet my rear arch, the fron arch and rear arch are the same so i can cut my rust and cut the same part out of that fender and wham easy rust repair :mrgreen:

Quoted post[/post]]
this is cool get a pic... i need it for rust repair and the arch needs to be in good shape. because i need it to be cut and modded to fet my rear arch, the fron arch and rear arch are the same so i can cut my rust and cut the same part out of that fender and wham easy rust repair :mrgreen:
lol ok, i'll get you a pic

Back