2 ohm speakers + Prelude AFS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Justin66

The Hondaswap Canadian
My rear 6x9s in my prelude are getting worn out and i want some more kick. I have the Acoustic Feedback System and realize the rears run on a small amp at 2ohms as opposed to 4ohms which almost all aftermarket speakers run. I'm not a audio noob or anything but my question is would Infinity speakers work since they run on 2ohms and this shouldnt affect the AFS right? I dont really want to have to bypass the AFS so im hoping this will work, anyone have any experience with this?

You could get some soundstream tarantulas, they run at 3 ohms. Also, its not the amp that decides what ohm its at, its the speakers and how they are wired. Running at a higher ohm load will not hurt anything, its lower that you have to worry about.

From what i have read is that putting 4ohm ones in will burn out the HU and the AFS wont work right and give you bad sound. It seems that replacing the rears are tough with this system in and i dont wanna have to bypass it if i dont need to. Im pretty sure you cant modify the AFS to run on 4ohm, besides arent 2ohm speakers louder?

yes the infinity 2ohm speakers would be a good option or you could upgrade to 2 pair of 4ohm speakers and it would come out to be 2ohm also and you would have 2 extra speakers and it would be louder but easiest option is to find a set of 2ohm speakers and be happy i own a set of infinty kapa series 3way 6x9s that sound great and they are 2ohm but they are a little bit expensive compaired to most other speakers

Locally i can only find Infinity reference series, but i just want a bit more bass, Infinity is known for good clarity also. I think ill be pleased with them either way, i just wanted to know if it will all work fine. Also does anyone know the output of the AFS amp? The HU?

just wire the speaker to see a 2ohms. If they are both single voice coils than wire them at 2 ohms and hook them up to the factory amp. problem solved.

i dont see how running at a higher ohm load can hurt the amp or HU since it putting less strain on the amp. It will sound like crap becaise the amp does max power at 2 so of course at 4ohms you wont be seeing that.

Personaly i would by pass the amp. to me they all sound like garbage. ESPECIALLY if you have aftermaket speakers. Why pay extra for high quality speakers if they are going to sound just like worn out factory ones?

True, but i think ill give the Infinitys a try with the AFS and if it sounds the same or worse ill bypass and maybe get a small amp.

I have been browsing the subject on the net and everyone has a different experience with it. Some have no problems with any speakers with the AFS, some claim that the AFS is great, some not and some have their aftermarlet speakers cut out at higher volumes with the AFS.. yadda yadda yadda. Ill try it for myself and see. Thanks guys.

Ok i got em, they sound great, and i kept the stock harness and AFS microphone (just need to stick it somewhere cause its just hanging), they work good with no cutting out. HOWEVER.... i cant screw them down yet because since the magnet is alot bigger and wider than the stock, a little black bar along the top of the truck hits it as it closes, anyone know what this does and can i get rid of it???

Edit: Ok its the trunk torsion bar and apparently its not to be messed with, ill bolt them down and see how much it bends, some people just leave let them bending a bit and it doesnt hurt it.

Last edited:
you can remove that torsion bar if you don't use the trunk often. It just makes the trunk open easier and stay in the up position. Or take a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood, trace out the speaker and the opening and cut to make a ring. Install the ring under the speaker to be used as a space to give you the clearance you need.

I just wish i wasnt so lazy lol, i was hoping for a flawless install, and it was until this crap. Ill let you guys know how the bending situation goes, tomorrow.... too cold and dark now.

Or take a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood, trace out the speaker and the opening and cut to make a ring. Install the ring under the speaker to be used as a space to give you the clearance you need.

my advise as well. 1/2 should be plenty right?

Locally i can only find Infinity reference series, but i just want a bit more bass, Infinity is known for good clarity also. I think ill be pleased with them either way, i just wanted to know if it will all work fine. Also does anyone know the output of the AFS amp? The HU?

I know this is late but I had these in my Honda and I loved them. That is all..

The Infinitys? Ya so far they are great. Tomorrow im gonna go look for some of those plastic 6x9 spacers.

Unrelated matter, my one headlight went out tonight, gives me an excuse to buy some eurolite white plasma bulbs.

Alright, they are in, turns out they come with a form of spacer as it is, however the bar still hits it but it doesnt seem too bad. Its not in 100% solid yet, the screws aren't holding up too good, so i may get some small nut and bolts. Sounds better but now that i have that in, i want a new deck lol...... and i may want a sub again, something small though, i want my trunk.

Back