20/20 street racing video

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

damn even when she was in the car w/him and she was telling him to stop he just kept racing. I've never seen anyone that addicted to street racing.

That guy is a fucking retard. Seriously, I don't think I could live in a shitty apartment like that just to have a fast car.

im 20 and single...i'd live in my car just to have a fast car
(after driving my friends wrx last nite i have come to this conclusion)

My car can put two cars on a WRX from a roll and from a light stay pretty much less than a car behind up until about 70 when i catch up and start to pull on them and I still wouldn't live in that shitty apartment to keep it.

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Apr 18 2004, 09:20 PM
My car can put two cars on a WRX from a roll and from a light stay pretty much less than a car behind up until about 70 when i catch up and start to pull on them and I still wouldn't live in that shitty apartment to keep it.

ok

after driving my barely modded dx around, rippin a wrx feels like a drag car to me. im not so lucky to have jdm under my hood.......

and yea, that guy is a loser...he has a wife and a kid. you would think he would sell the trans am to make a better life for them..i am in complete agreeance

Originally posted by lowandslow+Apr 18 2004, 09:32 PM-->
dohch22a4
@Apr 18 2004, 09:20 PM

ok

after driving my barely modded dx around, rippin a wrx feels like a drag car to me. im not so lucky to have jdm under my hood.......

and yea, that guy is a loser...he has a wife and a kid. you would think he would sell the trans am to make a better life for them..i am in complete agreeance

He has more than one car, and he makes the money, so it's pretty much his choice. No one is normal everyone has a problem.

Originally posted by Soichiro-Honda+Apr 19 2004, 01:10 AM-->
Originally posted by lowandslow@Apr 18 2004, 09:32 PM
dohch22a4
@Apr 18 2004, 09:20 PM

ok

He has more than one car, and he makes the money, so it's pretty much his choice. No one is normal everyone has a problem.

His problem is rather significant as it will affect the lives of his unborn kid and his adopted kid for the rest of their lives. He should put his wife and kids FIRST, then and ONLY THEN worry about the car. Hell he's not a teenager anymore, he shouldn't even HAVE that car anymore. He's a grown adult. It's time for him to grow the fuck up and put the right priorities first.

Period. End of story.

I saw the actual 20/20 report when it aired last year. They promised a follow-up on him. Downloading now.

Edit: Just watched the video, it's not a follow up, but the same thing I saw on 20/20. He complains that the media took him out of context, but everything he says, and his girlfriend, aren't cut and pasted. When his girlfriend says "I won't go in the car, because he races when I'm in it" it means just that....

.....You're a dick head.

-> Steve

One more thing, that deserves it's own post:

What you are experiencing here is not a "Japanese vs American" thing. We, as Honda owners aren't going on anything about the car nor your talents as a driver, or father.

You're looking at the automotive world saying "Why do you all hate me?" when the answer is right before your eyes. We don't hate you, and quite rightly we have been through your shoes before.

And we have lost the woman, the kids, the house and the life. Or, smartened up to what was real and found a balance between the two.

This video is not a media attack on your lifestyle. The show was about expense in the modern world. And while you have the ability to pick your battles (And yes, the car is more important than the family to you) others do not.

I believe, in conclusion, that it was NOT the camera crew and media that has fucked you over, but it's you that are going after the media out of context.

I'm a networking consultant too, and I *made* huge amounts of money. Now I will be getting married, and can no longer find the money like I used to I've found myself having to sell the cars (I own 6, try that on for size). I don't EVEN have a kid on the way. But you see, as an automotive enthusiast I don't want to get rid of the cars and the lifestyles, but as a human being, a concerned friend, and as a man I'm putting it on hold for those that are more important

Like my GF.

A little background for you: My gf is as into cars as I am. She isn't an "online" kinda person about it, but she has an MR2 SC (Which by the way, routinely eats WS6s) and a truck. She has requested me to cut down to what is important: A sports car, and a utility car. Also, I own a Formula project that is a big deal to me. I've had to completely arrest the idea of my 720hp Firebird not only to maintain a loving relationship,

But to be a man.

Be a Man.

-> Steve

EDIT: Furthermore, You should stop and re-evaluate your life. The idea that this woman is putting upwith this, dropping hints and asking you, with tears in her eyes, to stop endangering yourself - Only to be ignored astonishes me. She has gone before national TV and BEGGED you to stop. I can tell you, my gf would just hint me in the head with a 2x4 and walk out the door.

Maybe that is your wife's next step.

Join Autocross, and Track days. Wear a helmet, invest in safety equipment and join us REAL enthusiasts where it counts. The only media you're getting is as an irresponsible man-child that totally gets off on doing the wrong thing.

When you're ready to change that, drive the car to a track and show the automotive world what you are made of. Maybe that second car can get tubbed, and instead of worrying about how many 12" subs you can fit in the trunk, you'll be worrying about where you're putting the sponsorship logos.

Then watch your woman beam with pride in you and who you are when you get checks in the mail from a sponsor. What you do isn't wrong, how you do it is horribly flawed.

I really hope you come back to this forum, back to HondaSwap and discuss this. And I hope you're not making a shotgun-post to the world defending yourself on ignorant merits of victimism.

-> Again, Steve.

very very well said celerity... :thumbsup:

and to the trans am guy...its not about the media making shit up about you/ur cars/ur financial problems; its about you making the wrong choices. u said it urself in the video, u have no savings....
u gotta let some things go man, u have a different life now...u have a family, ur a father. what ur doing isnt safe, for you and others
stop and think about it

i still think ur a loser

I applaud you on your efforts to look at what really happened. Not many people look that in depth into this subject.

I don't push myself as a victim in any way shape or form, I just come to places like this to tell the other side of the story.

Let’s begin. The show aired August 1 2001

First of all, you’re pulling at things that didn't really happen. Let me help you set it straight.

The whole idea and the way that Downtown had approached me was on the concept of how people spend money on a hobby. The show segment before me was about a guy who killed his wife for insurance money, and the segment after me was about a penny pincher millionaire.

I guess in a way, that’s what they aired on TV, but, it is NOT the way the interviews 'went'. You should notice in several places that both my wife and I are laughing at the questions they were asking. Also, a lot of the questions that were asked, we were given 'ideas' on what to say. An extreme example of this, is when I was writing out my car payment ( Yes, it was $718.54/month, and it was time to refinance my already good rate of 1.9% at the time ). Jenie says something to the effect of 'we need to refinance your car loan to see if we can get a better rate'. To tell you the truth, not within 2 months of the taping of that segment, the car was paid off in full. Yes, I wrote a $19,000-ish check to pay off the T/A. This was in addition to the 97 GTP I own, and had already paid off. The GTP was my daily driver at the time. You might notice it when they are interviewing me at the house. Jenie's car was fairly new ( less than a year ) and we kept payments on it ( big $300/month ) strictly for credit ratings.

While I'm at it, lets hit the $2500/month thing. It's exaggerated some, mostly by timelines, but, not by much. The amount included:

T/A: $718.54
GTP: 481.25
Focus: $301.01
Insurance for me: $284/mo ( under 25 )
Insurance for her: $197/mo ( 2 wrecks )
Gas: lets say around 4 tanks a week of premium(25 each) 2 tanks of regular/wk (15) x 4 weeks = $520/month
Oil changes @ 40/shot.. lets say, 3 cars, 2 changes a month-ish. $80.

Total? $2481.80 - give or take.

It's not that hard to believe now, is it? Like I said, the timeline on some of the payments are skued, but, again, those are the numbers, and their addition that came to $2500/month.

Lets continue the money thing. How about the comment about the 6 bedroom house? Let see. The fact is, we lived in a 3500 sq/ft 4 bedroom, 4 1/2 bathroom, 3 car garage, with a pool, games room, etc, HOUSE. Look at the neighborhood when they were interviewing Jason. That was MY yard. Like I stated on the other forums, the apartment was kept for many reasons. Quickly, it was close to her parents house, close to my step-son's father, and close to work.

Lets visit my 'savings' issue. Yes, I stated the obvious, no, I did not have a savings account for HER. No college fund for HER. Common, lets be realistic. Who has either of these for an unborn child? I assure you, not many. How much did *I* have? I think by now it should be fairly clear that I had plenty of money in the bank to support, and provide anything my family desired. That fact still remains that I still have plenty to survive, pay my bills, support my family, and have plenty of cash sitting in accounts for both of my children's higher education funds, and working on accounts for down payments on their first houses.

More in the next post

I'm currently in business with 2 other gentlemen, doing similar things now, as I did then. I'm now more into the ultra high end side of consulting, along with sales. My company does many things, including the 'normal' computer consulting, as well as selling high speed internet, and IP phones to Mexican companies. The 3 of us (partners) employ 7 other people. My 'ends' are still very well kept, as well as building a new house for my family and I to live in. Yes, it includes a large workshop for the cars.

Yes, the media did a very good job at portraying the fact that I don't 'care' for my family. It's just simply not the case. Not sure how I could show you (on here) how it really is. Nothing has ever come before my family; including the cars. Honestly, I've always looked at the cars as nothing but that. 'It's just a car'. If it's wrecked, stolen, whatever... it's JUST a car to me. Nothing could be closer to the truth, then, or now. Then, the T/A was my daily driver. Now, it an almost all-out road race car. My racing is limited to Porsche Club of America events that they hold down here in my area once a month. I can honestly say that I have NOT been in any sort of street race with the T/A since that interview. The cars also sit the other 29-ish days a month.

You would be proud to know that my daily driver is an 85 Crown Vic Wagon. No A/C, no power anything. I have no issues driving it either.

Lets move to some of the other issues I get blasted on, and major editing issues that *I* have a problem with.

Me v.s. the Supra.

First off, it was *partly* staged. By partly, I KNEW who the guy was, had been on MANY road race tracks with him, and been shot gun with him in his RX7. I felt more than comfortable with his driving style, as well as I'm sure that he was comfortable with mine.

Highway races: The only 'race' they have they split into 2 segments. It's the SAME run. NO cars were anywhere in front of us. We ran. When Jason's talking about how wierd it is with us racing in traffic, beside each other, we were talking to each other about NOT running. You even see him tap his brakes. You see at least *3* edits before we race. Why? It's because we MOVED highways to one that we had driven down, around, and back to see if anything could cause an issue with where we were running. The fact is, we were trying to be as safe about where we were doing it, as possible.

Highway access road race: Same issue as above. We went ALL the way around the access road to check out the area that he an I ALREADY knew. You can see that he was parked in front of me on the side of the road. Why? It's because we both got out and talked about what was going to happen, how far, and how fast. Now, THIS is the part that really made me unhappy. Listen to the access road race... you know.. the part where I almost kill someone? Yeah. Go back and LISTEN. I realize it's hard to tell on the speedometer that I'm doing 15mph, and the engine had been shutdown for awhile.. but, those darn digital zoom tricks that they use in the editing room, REALLY show how some innocent person almost gets killed. RIGHT

Jenie & Kids in the car: Jenie doesn't like the T/A. She says it's to low, and refuses to get in it MOST of the time. It is true that she was in the car once when I got into a 'slow speed' highway race. Yes, she was pregnant, BUT, neither of us knew it at the time. How am I supposed to defend that one? I can't.

Maybe some of you can think on your own as to the rest of what you see, and put 2 and 2 together, and notice that it doesn't all add up.

I guess I don't have much else to say, unless you have specific questions.

so how off is the $90k invested? i hope its off by at least $45k lol

what are you running 1/4 wise?

also i noticed youre not even pulling wheelstands man, whats up? that kinda money in a RWD you should be :D

It's not $90k into the T/A..

$27k for the T/A
$25 for the GTP
$15 for the Focus

$8k-ish for a SQ+ 151-300 system in the GTP.. it was/is a show car.

$10-14k-ish for MULTIPLE setups in the T/A, dozens of sets of tires, brakes, suspention, etc.

T/A runs 10.4's in the low 130's on Nitto 555 RII's, N/A. Recall above, it's a road race car.. NOT a drag car.

u present urself well, and i believe that the media would say anything that 20/20 viewers would wanna hear. and ur right, i watched the video again, and some things dont add up haha

but there is a lot of money invested there, and im glad to hear you have toned down a lot, even to the extent of driving an old pos crown vic (at least get a tsi for a daily driver or something haha), and that u have a well off business operating successfully, and have plenty of money to support ur wife and children.

i will apologize for jumping the gun on earlier posts, theres always 2 sides to a story.

so, good luck with ur family, business, the T/A, and the new house

All i can can add to this post which i find in udder disgust. No one should ever have the right to tell you what to do but instead give guidence in the things that should be most important. My thoughts to you is get your fucking priorties in the right place before you lose something special to you. A car is a car it can be replaced, but killing yourself or others as humans we can not be replaced. So the next time your out there thinking you coud die give your head a shake and think about your family and lay the facts in front of yourself. Some of those facts would be your wife will become a widow and your child fatherless, the other fact is one day no matter how good a person thinks they drive they will crash and who will you take out when you do, a kid , mother, father, a family etc. I will not lie and say i havent street raced , because i have but the amount of times of have seen people plow through stop signs just goes to show how easily something can turn fatal. SO do your self a favor stop now and take it to a track or get a gun and commit suicide so that are lives arent in danger for your stupidty.

Back