20/20 street racing video

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by HellBentHONDA+Apr 19 2004, 10:30 PM-->
Chris Johnson 00 T/A
@Apr 19 2004, 07:58 PM
Recall above, it's a road race car.. NOT a drag car.

uhh.. didnt realize there was that big of a difference

Lets see, a full tuned down suspention including lowering springs, sway bars, coilovers, LCA's, PHR's, etc, etc, v.s. none of the above?

*huge* difference in setups.

Ok, I'm satisfied enough to not push the issue anymore. I've gone back and looked at specific sections of the video, and can now briefly change my outlooks:

1) When I saw that video "A while back" on the air, I saw how they vilified you in the access road run.

2) Anyone that knows streetracing, in it's purest form, knows you could have walked away with $700 or so that night - based on the filmed wins you did. All in all, it's safer than being a cop or firefighter. Since there was no mention of the money, either spent or gained, I knew that you were in cahoots with the other racers.

3) Now hang on... GTP, T/A, Focus, ... 85 Caprice ? I see the market is hitting you just as hard as it's hitting me. Multiple dwellings (Your house, your apartment, the new house, I've lost track). Something isn't adding up.

4) Ok, a low speed race isn't a race. What, a 500 hp race ... first to 55 mph wins :). Good wholesome fun, and while it's never happened I'll trust you that you didn't intend to hurt anyone. You didn't know she was pregnant. So I suppose that she, alone, isn't worth respecting or heeding ? There has to be a baby involved to make it wrong ? While you're not the Antichrist that a lot of people around here make you out to be, you're also not the saint you may fancy yourself. Your intentions are skewed by your bravado and arrogance.

5) The fact still remains, This video gave us a look into your life that none of here have, of anyone else. So our critical nature to your responses is unique. So here goes :

5a) The woman you love hates what you do / did. Granted, you no longer race on the streets. Kudos to you, and since you're doing roadrace, I hope to someday meet you on the track. Either way, her pleas went un-regarded, and I'm sure your choice to "Take it to the track" only came when your mods were so incredible that the car was no longer street legal. The result is the same, but the means to the end are what matters here.

5b) I don't think anyone, even the proletariat viewers of 20/20 sitting at home, thought that you would ever strap your baby daughter into a Recaro baby seat and go racing. When people say "You've got a daughter, and a street prepped car, YOU MONSTER" they don't mean it like that. What they mean comes from two angles: One angle is the single, babyless shithead (Me) who asks "How will you ever give a child a quality life, when you're sinking all of your income into a hobby" (Then the single, babyless shithead will go out and enjoy a Latte while perusing a $12 monthly men's magazine). The Other angle is from a father. Fathers love finding an achille's heel to point out and feel very superior about. Fathers will criticize the shit out of you either to squelch their own regrets and shortcomings, or to create some alpha-challenge on the whim that someday all men in the world will write HIM for advice.
(That was lengthy, but the Cliff's Notes is : Fuck the neighsayers when it comes to your hobby and kids)
5c) You're own behavior, you can see, has turned your gender against you. What about the fairer sex? Oh, you lost them the MOMENT you called home to Jenie at the wee hours of the morning ("Hi honey, I'm still alive"). This is the phone call that drives women, literally, insane. They will be charged with despair, hate, worry, anger, love and deep caring - all at the same time! Lemme tell you kiddo, you're batting a 1000 on this one.

I'm very surprised to see who on Honda Swap has been contributing here. We have many people on this forum, above all other Honda forums (in the world) that actually drive and prepare some really balls-to-the-walls Hondas. And they aren't Talking ! But as both a long-time Online Automotive contributor, as well as a mixed respect and disciplined US / Foreign car guy, I can promise with reasonable outcome that the counterargument you're seeing isn't one of jealousy over your car. Many of us here have both Honda power and other RWD power (Of the East Coast drift community, more than half of them own Hondas as daily cars, and are all members here)

Come back with this one. Read your Private Message inbox too.

-> Steve

Edit: I was raised by a great father, and my father tied a baby seat to the rollbar of a 1967 tubbed out Mustang and put earmuffs on my head. Upon urging from my mother, he finally bought a 1976 Mustang Cobra and bragged about it's back seats. From there he moved onto a 1982 Toyota Supra. My dad has never given in to "Family cars", and I turned out just fine, and regard my father as top-notch.

Originally posted by Chris Johnson 00 T/A@Apr 19 2004, 07:58 PM
My racing is limited to Porsche Club of America events that they hold down here in my area once a month. I can honestly say that I have NOT been in any sort of street race with the T/A since that interview. The cars also sit the other 29-ish days a month.

i humbly apologize chris for not reading that part of this thread. i entirely skipped over that post. :unsure:

i assumed (made an ass outta me only) you meant street racing and not racing at a track. like i said before i am sorry. :hide:

it looked like that supra was pulling on the T/A until he let off. ^_^

but seriously heres my thoughts on street racing. it doesnt really get dangerous until the cops come flying in with there light on yelling at everyone. because when that happens everyone starts to run and all hell breaks loose. people are running accross street with car flying by, trying to get to there cars.

in the two years i've been going i've only seen one wreck not caused by the police showing up. some kids in a POS civic were trying to show off and went flying down to the starting area and t-boned a prelude that was also pulling out.

im not sure how it is where you all are from, but here in kc, if there are people consistantly acting stupid we (all 100-300 of us tell them to leave), we try to make the enviroment as strickly race oriented as possible. of course the n00b's rev their shit and blair their music, but the people that have been going out for a while know better.

currently our "leader" has arranged so we could all legally meet at the local track (that closes at 10pm due to local sound laws). then we all meet at a different place to race. we try to keep it organized and safe.

Originally posted by ef9civicgen4@Apr 20 2004, 04:21 PM
in the two years i've been going i've only seen one wreck not caused by the police showing up. some kids in a POS civic were trying to show off and went flying down to the starting area and t-boned a prelude that was also pulling out.
currently our "leader" has arranged so we could all legally meet at the local track (that closes at 10pm due to local sound laws). then we all meet at a different place to race. we try to keep it organized and safe.

To ad to this The Civic was driven by 2 mexican guys who neither had licensesno insurance and had their really young g/f's or sisters with them. they were mad showing off. Nice job eh? They also proceeded to leave the scene, when they were chased down by a 12sec. 98 TA. Chased into a gas station, headlights hanging out and all. They hit the Prelude so hard it had to be stashed around the industrial part of town over night becuase the CV's were fucked and it wouldnt come in or go out of gear. Havent seen the Civic since.

Back