20-30K to run 11s? WTF ARE YOU SMOKING

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
as talked about on the MR2 post...

Lets lay out a how to run 11 secs in a car recipe

Take a CRX or a 92-95 hatchback, then stip the car down.
put some light weight wheels on the back and some nice 13" slicks on the front
find yourself a GSR or LS/Vtec motor. Build the motor to make 200WHP
Pair the motor up with a GSR tranny and do the basic bolt ons.

Full ehxuast header back.
Intake manifold.
Throttle body.

Do all of that and then learn how to drive a car and YOU WILL RUN 11s

how can I say this? becuase I've seen it done!

light wight plus so so power = pretty fast car

Fred Ellis car was making around 200hp and weighed 1600lbs
he ran 11.3 in it.

Lets go another way about doing this

Take a 92-95 civic with a GSR swap you can find them for 5-6K on ebay or around town.

Buy a GOOD turbo kit and a thicker headgasket.
basic fuel upgrades and guess what

YOU'RE DONE!

total cost? about 10K

My friend paid 14K back in 2001 for a 99 Civic CX with a GSR motor with revhard turbo kit he ran a 11.9 on slicks keep in mind that was a turn key car from a import SHOP

Lets all look at cheesefrogs car last time I checked he had a fairly lightly modded LS block..... gee 20-30K?

If you tune a motor right you can make some pretty good power for awhile however hondas do tend to have crappy stock sleeves so resleeving is not a bad idea for when you make 300WHP or more

however all of them make great track cars I woulnt drive it daily due to pushing the motor. but do keep in mind that once you drive a 300+WHP FWD on the street you will learn that driving it every day is not all that fun. There is A LOT of upkeep so making a track only car that makes sick power for cheap is not all that bad =) just fix stuff as it breaks

Now if you want a car that you can trust when it comes to driving anywhere from CA to VA and back again then go with building the motor up as one day I plan to do again...

When I get my own place with a nice size garage I'm going to build another civic
I plan on spending around 10-12K total on the car and my goal is 400+ WHP

1-2K for the chassis
2-3K for turbo/IC/ECU
2K for custom manifold intake/exhuast
1K for custom exhuast
1K for fuel
3K for built motor ready for boost

so far that's 12K

Keep in mind I've been there done that so I know what I'm getting myself into.
my first turbo car that is not making 380WHP on the daily driver setting, cost me about 15K to build but that was building THREE motors in the making and paying out the ass for some of the parts

BTW it ran 11.6 a few weeks ago

If I did it right the first time the car would have cost me around 18K that is with the cost of the car at $6800

20-30K? you guys are smoking some good shit!

i got a better idea. save the 10k and put it as a down payment on a REALLY nice muscle car, or on a car worth building up that wont say to the entire world:

HEY LOOK AT ME, IM JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

of course this only applies if your civic is your daily driver. otherwise, go balls out homie.

20-30K? Fuck that. I'm more of a 6k kind of guy. Anyone can spend the cash to go fast, if they have it. But If I spend that kind of money, I'm getting a classy ride.

I see modded SS/Z28s/mustangs/cobras and mostly vettes around here
I see more vettes then I do fixed up civics

This area has WAY to many.... most are slow too unless it's one of the newer ones

but my point is not what car to build up it's that it DOES NOT COST 20-30K to get into the 11s

to spend 10K on a used SS and spray the bitch and you will hit 11s

or if your're like me and hate cars that can't handle all that well "- the vette" go build up a civic or even my 350z

- the cost of the car 350Zs can hit 11s with bolt ons and spraying

or you could do the bbasic bolt ons and supercharger/turbo charge it for around 8k total

get some sticky tires and hello 11s

20-30K for a 11 sec car is total BS unless you're talking about the cost of a brand new car + mods

Tell em jeffie.

I just wish it was that easy for me to come up with 12k to blow on just a car and not have to worry about replacing shit on the way when I get too happy.

Originally posted by tab@Jul 24 2004, 05:37 PM
20-30K? Fuck that. I'm more of a 6k kind of guy. Anyone can spend the cash to go fast, if they have it. But If I spend that kind of money, I'm getting a classy ride.
[post=367655]Quoted post[/post]​

God i have said that many times on this bored and got flamed....That was exactly my point...if your gonna spend 10k to fix up a 2k car why not get something classy and already fast....unless you really like a rusted out 92 crx and think that is classy...

i like driving beaters, they are great you can break em and laugh
but really with 20-30k
i would have a rally-X car, auto-X car , a potent street car, and still have money for a down payment on a 2000 S4 2.7 Bi-Turbo :D

I agree on buying a nice car however I will once again spend 10K + on a 1500 buck pos car becase well.. its fun to spank the big boys!

My old civic is making 380WHP being drivin to and from work every single day7

how many cars can come close to touching that on the street?

Vipers wont even come close

not even corvetteguy's blown vette

2200lbs + 380WHP on pump gas is fun

To build my car again it would cost me around 12K to make 500+WHP on racefuel
to build a newer car to do that..... well I figure for my 350Z to make 400WHP it would cost me 30-32K to make my 350Z make 500+WHP with a built motor I think it would cost more along the lines of 40-50K total with cost of car then I would have the 800lbs differance to worry about

$12K 380WHP Civic > $30K 400WHP 350Z

I love having a nice can and wouldnt want it any other way however, it is nice to have a 2nd car that is all go and no show

I WILL have a 10 sec civic sooner or later and it will cost me way less then what my stock 350Z costed me

hmmm...... I know material things shoudln't matter but good luck picking up the hot #10 chick in a loud 10 year old civic......lol, just thinking outside the box, but then again FOOK Dem Biznatches...

That's why I also have my 350Z =)~ I will never again own just a civic and I think anyone here who is planing on building ANY powerful car it should be done with nothing other then weekend car in mind

My old civic IMO was a pain in the ass

always had to tightin shit up every week,,,,, forged pistons WILL use oil so you also had to check the oil every week...

PITA not bad when you put 100-200 miles on it a month but when you drive like me 1000+ miles a month it REALLY sucks

So heres how it works

Sexy hot ass car for nice day daily driver
Fast ass POS for weekend car
and some beater yet in great shape A4/S4/3 Series beamer for a rainy day car

hehehhe

See these are the same arguements i have on mustangforums, their response?

Foxbody GT, turbo, slicks, 11s easy.but you expect a V8 to be fast, no one expects a sotck looking EK hatch to run 11s :)

84-87 Honda CRX HF shell...$200 from a Junk yard
87 CRX Stock SI motor Swap...$400
LSD Phantom Grip..$250
Homemade Turbo kit...$300-700
Full suspension setup...$1000
light rims and sticky tires...$1000

I'm not sure that would get in the 11's...but it would make a killer Autocross car....

Anything can be done on a tight budget...but you also get what you pay for ;)

Originally posted by jeffie7+Jul 26 2004, 09:39 PM-->
I agree on buying a nice car however I will once again spend 10K + on a 1500 buck pos car becase well.. its fun to spank the big boys!

Yeah you will beat the big boys, maybe, but you don't think guys driving blown mustangs vettes and vipers can't go out and buy some dinker and juice it up to 600hp....the fact is we all can, but we choose to have nicer cars

jeffie7
@Jul 26 2004, 09:39 PM
My old civic is making 380WHP being drivin to and from work every single day7

how many cars can come close to touching that on the street?

Vipers wont even come close

not even corvetteguy's blown vette

2200lbs + 380WHP on pump gas is fun

To build my car again it would cost me around 12K to make 500+WHP on racefuel
to build a newer car to do that..... well I figure for my 350Z to make 400WHP it would cost me 30-32K to make my 350Z make 500+WHP with a built motor I think it would cost more along the lines of 40-50K total with cost of car then I would have the 800lbs differance to worry about

$12K 380WHP Civic  > $30K 400WHP 350Z

I love having a nice can and wouldnt want it any other way however, it is nice to have a 2nd car that is all go and no show

I WILL have a 10 sec civic sooner or later and it will cost me way less then what my stock 350Z costed me
[post=368427]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd rather have a 400whp 350z then a 400whp beat up civic...if i was you i'd pmp that 350z out cause its a sweet ride

you could also buy a dodge shadow or omni, gut it, up the boost, custom ECU mapping exhaust, i/c, and minor turbo upgrade and run 11's for under $3k including the car.

agree jeffie....must have two rides, a nice one to go out in, thats reliable, and the ladies will enjoy, then the 500whp civic... :thumbsup:

just as a side note - I think the omni was probably the ugliest desgined car EvAr.

There was a guy who had a 380WHP Jetta and raced a pretty moded viper

lets just say the viper owner shit some bricks it had no chance

380+WHP in a close to 2000lb car rocks!

Back