$200 for an intercooler. What do you do?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as which intercooler to get, if you are buying one brand new, any reputable engineering company will have done their homework, and will be able to give you performance specs on their intercoolers. Research and development isn't cheap, that is why the good stuff costs so much.

Here is some research somebody did. I just googled up "intercooler specs" and this is some stuff I found. Intercooler specs for some intercooler.

Not the best information, but it is an idea of what kind of numbers you should be looking for.

I am not in anyway turbo enlightened, nor never boosted, but I'm attempting to learn a lot, so this summer I can put together my own turbo kit.

From this thread of all the opinions, I am getting this.

JRCIC is cheap for homemade turbo kits. Homemade=cheaper turbo's, usually used, and older, but ones that still work, but don't push tons of psi, but spool quicky.

The pt of the JRCIC is to cool the air that goes through it. right?

With a JRCIC the pressure drops a little bit. So you turn up the boost a little bit more so the map sees all 7 psi.

Since you turned up the boost, the turbo then gets near the end of its efficiency range, and the air going through is hotter now.

My question is, will the air be warmer in this set up after turning up the boost, then if there was no intercooler at all, and the same turbo wasn't having to work as hard?

Facts speak louder then chemistry mumbo jumbo like PV=nRT - the ideal gas law, or any of the following boyle's, charle's, or gay-lussac's law's which really don't have enough correlation to the JRCIC to make a valid argument.

Sounds kind of contradictory if you ask me in both aspects of the whole point of the JRCIC.

You saw that too?

I was like damn, .1 pressure drop for 91F output temp is amazing.

:eek:t:
My mom's friend has the new Volvo S60R, and its so bad....I really wanna drive it, but they won't let me. :(

Am I wrong, or does a boost controller read manifold pressure? If it does, and you have it set to let's say 8 psi, won't the controller tell the turbo how much pressure is needed? I guess I don't see why the boost would need to be increased, if the controller is working off an input from the manifold. I would think the controller would do it automatically. Am I right? I have never pieced a kit together, but I am pretty sure that is how it works.

The pt of the JRCIC is to cool the air that goes through it. right?

Yes. this makes the charge of air both cooler and denser.

With a JRCIC the pressure drops a little bit. So you turn up the boost a little bit more so the map sees all 7 psi.

Still haven't got a straight answer from the turbo gods on why a boost controller wouldn't do this automatically...

Since you turned up the boost, the turbo then gets near the end of its efficiency range, and the air going through is hotter now.

Yes, the temperature goes up, because you are increasing the boost, and also if the turbo is operating less efficiently, more work is being converted into heat.

My question is, will the air be warmer in this set up after turning up the boost, then if there was no intercooler at all, and the same turbo wasn't having to work as hard?

Not necesarily. If the amount of heat being created by the compression and entropy production than can be dissipated by the IC then yes. If the heating does not exceed the IC's cooling capacity, then no. Like I said, I am not the guru on this stuff, just trying to help make sense of the thermodynamics involved.

Originally posted by Calesta+May 14 2004, 03:10 PM-->
[Freemantle

If you want to start a pissing match on who posted first, go read the thread that was the reason for starting this thread. I posted this simplistic bullshit way before you did. Now sit down and discuss instead of being an asshole and trying to look like you're the only one who can talk thermodynamics. Ass.

Because of people like you, I will no longer participate in technical threads like this.

Dude, I wasn't directing it toward you Cal. I meant in the sense that nobody took in the concept put it to use. I'm not trying to grind on your space.

Originally posted by TurboEF9@May 14 2004, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately, I don't care to waste that much time on this thread...

The motivation I had is gone. This board is founded on propaganda. I can't compete with that. No one can.

Sorry to even get involved in this narrowminded thread.

Yes and you deffinately added some real information. All you have is _your_ opinion. If you can't bring the facts to back it up becuase "you don't want to waste your time" why did you even bother posting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back