2000 EK Hatch With OBDI B16a In Progress...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

um....

im sittin here holdin an obd1 dizzy, and i count 9 wires....

one blue, one black/yel, yel/grn, lt. blue, lt. blue/yel, peach/blue, peach, white, and white/blue

peach sounds really gay...i dont know what other color it is thogh

if possible, can you get me a pic of the wires between the plugs and the dizzy on your 8-wire?

Civicious, my dizzy is an OBDII one with 8-wires. It was the one that came off of the stock d15 motor. The only difference is that the B16a cast aluminum housing that bolts to the head is holding the OBDII dizzy internals that I swapped it.

1sikEH2, after checking out the pics, I guess your set up is different??? Does the pin pattern in the connector look the same, or is everything different?

Thanks again guys...matto

also, im not doubting that yours is an 8-wire...im just trying to figure out which wire the obd2 doesnt have

i've hacked distributors before, and a few montsh ago did an obd2 gsr dizzy to an obd1 harness, and didnt run into any problems

if i can figure out which wire you don't have, maybe we can make some progress

Originally posted by matto52@Dec 4 2003, 10:52 PM
1sikEH2, after checking out the pics, I guess your set up is different??? Does the pin pattern in the connector look the same, or is everything different?

The b16 dizzy wires are the same as mine. your engine harness is different. i think the yellow/green should be the extra wire that the dx harness doesnt have if memory serves correct. give me a couple minutes and i will figure out what that wire is, hopefully.

Civicious, here are the 8-pin OBDII 2000 DX dizzy wire colors:

Black/Yellow
Pale Yellow/Green
Solid White
Solid Blue
White/Light Blue
Peach/Light Blue
Solid Black
Solid Peach

Keep in mind it was dark outside and I was using one of those LED flashlight so the color may have been off some what. I looked at the old 9-wire OBDI stuff too, and there were a few diffs. I think the OBDI had a blue/yellow and another one different. Thanks again for the help! matto

1sikEH2, I just saw your reply. Any info would be great. Thanks for your time! ...

the wire colors arent making much sense to me. what i can make from it is that it sounds like the dx harness doesnt have ne wires for your cylinder position sensor. i really recomend getting a 99-00 si harness

Hey guys, if there is a potential difference in engine harnesses, I just wanted to clarify my car. The motor was that d15 with the whacked out intake manifild with the throttle body in the center of the runners facing straight up. This is why the harness was short in some spots on the B16a b/c the DX sensors were in radically different spots on the motor. I hope I was right in calling the dx a dx; just did not want to be inacurate. ...matto

Thanks 1sik, I may try to compare the innards of the two dizzys tomorrow to see if the OBDII one lack that cylinder position sensor you were talking about. MAybe I can run the wire externally if there is a sensor, but no wire going engine side of the harness. If that does not work, where could I source a 99Si harness?? The dealers has got to be bucks!! Just to make sure, we have the same connector but different wires in our distributors??? matto

HX!!!??? Am I screwed of what? Please do not think I a total rook, the car has no stickers and the owner said it was a DX :blink:

Originally posted by matto52@Dec 4 2003, 11:24 PM
If that does not work, where could I source a 99Si harness?? The dealers has got to be bucks!! Just to make sure, we have the same connector but different wires in our distributors??? matto

source the harness at a local honda salvage yard is your best bet. we have the same connector and wires in the vtec dist. the dx dist has a totally different plug and wire colors. which means that the wires in the dx harness are also different.

Originally posted by matto52@Dec 4 2003, 11:24 PM
HX!!!??? Am I screwed of what? Please do not think I a total rook, the car has no stickers and the owner said it was a DX :blink:

thats cool man, no bid deal.

Thanks again 1sik, so do you recommend that I run the original OBD1 dist, but cut and splice the OBDII connector on??? This way, wouldn't it connect to the Si harness and and the wires needed for the OBD1 ecu and jumper harness?? I cannot thank you guys enough for your patients and information! Hopefully, I can get this car out of my hair SOON! matto

good luck findin an si harness. look for an ex harness, they're a lot easier to come by.

si harnesses are rare as hell.

Sweet good idea civicious. Should be same sheite right?? Are all the harnesses '96+ the same for the EX? Is the green dash plug at the ecu the only thing connecting the engine harness to the car besides on the drivers shock tower? If so, an EK harness change should not be that bad at all. About how much do harnesses go for???Thanks again for all the suggestions...matto

Originally posted by matto52@Dec 4 2003, 11:32 PM
Thanks again 1sik, so do you recommend that I run the original OBD1 dist, but cut and splice the OBDII connector on??? This way, wouldn't it connect to the Si harness and and the wires needed for the OBD1 ecu and jumper harness?? I cannot thank you guys enough for your patients and information! Hopefully, I can get this car out of my hair SOON! matto

if your pics on the first page are labeled right. the b16 dist looks like its an obd2 vtec dist. i thought it was obd2. but, either way if the dizzy plug doesnt match the si harness than you can just modify it. you can unpin the 7 little wires from the dizzy and they will fit the obd2 plug. you have to cut and splice the two larger wires. if that makes any sense to you.

96-98 is diff than 99-00

obd2a vs obd2b

itll be about $200

Gotcha 1sik, maybe this motor was cobbed more than I thought. I originally assumed it was OBD1 b/c it lacked the CAS like other OBD2 cars I have worked on. Maybe the wreckers switched dizzys before shipping b/c I ordered an OBDII swap. Also, the OBDII ecu was just chillin on top of the motor when it arrived. If I have an OBDII VTEC dizzy here, wouldn't it plug into an EX harness? Jap OBDII B16a's have the CAS, right???? Still trying to figure out what I got; it's kind of a mystery with that VTEC solenoid situation.

Originally posted by civicious@Dec 4 2003, 07:17 PM
sorry to threadjack, but why do you have a b16 head on a b18c block?

Hey, I have the B16 head because of two reasons, the better flow (at least in my mind, I don't care what the rest of you say...) and the better intake manifold setup, the dubble butterfly setup sucks on the gsr. Also, It means I can run my P30 now.

Anyways, I see you guys seemed to have solved his problems, I didn't take the time to read everything with much retention, what ended up being to problem?

Back