2000 Ninja 250 8k miles $1250?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

also, the 2010 orange 250 is re-listed for $2995.

edit: looks like the price was dropped to $2750 and listed a firm.
going to try and sit on some bikes tomorrow morning on the way to work to see how the ninja 250 feels.

Last edited:
So I think I finally found a decent bike for a decent price.
I found a 2007 ninja 500 at a local dealer for a reasonable price. 5500 miles for $2500
yesterday on the way home I was driving by a house with a ninja 500 that i've been looking at on my way home everyday for probably 3 years, always sitting under the porch roof by the front door.
I finally saw the guy backing into his driveway so I stopped to ask if he was selling it.
2004, 1500 miles, only $1600 bucks
he is going to put a new battery in it and get it fired up. I just want to hear it run/idle and I'm bringing it home.
Good deal compared to what everyone around me is trying to get for a ninja 500, they are all listed on CL for over $3000.

Ninja6.jpg

Last edited:
also note, i went to look at the orange 250... yea, it was fucking red.
not really sure what that was about.
i said i thought this was orange? nope... its red.
well thanks genius.

not the exact bike, same color scheme.
this one is dusty, but should clean up pretty nicely.

So I changed the oil in the bike last weekend, it appeared to have quite a bit of gas in the oil.
I think it still has a stuck float bowl, and the idle isn't really too great so I called a local shop to have the carbs re-done.
I knew it was only a matter of time before I had to get that done but was really hoping I would be able to ride it a bit and see if they clear out.
I thought the stuck float bowl issue was already taken care of but the last time I started the bike, I turned it off and gas started coming out of the overflow, so I shut the petcock off.
I don't imagine there is much damage to the bearings since no one actually rode the bike with gas in the oil.

Went to DMV this morning and got it on the road. I am hoping to drop it off at the shop tomorrow morning or evening. Probably won't have it back till early next week.

Didn't get a chance to snap a bunch of pics yet, only have 2 so far...
Put about 100 miles on the bike Saturday, runs great. Starts without choke every time now.
Having the carbs professionally redone was one of the better choices I have made. The guy also cleaned and lubed the chain for me.
Friday night I changed the oil again just in case there was any gas in the crankcase from the bad carbs, changed the air filter, installed the H pipe clamp and put the lower fairing back on.
Got my NYS inspection on Saturday and then went for a mountain/scenic ride with my cousin on his new crf250.

Attachments

• Ninja L side.jpg
    Ninja L side.jpg
    939.3 KB · Views: 484
  • Ninja On Trailer.jpg
    Ninja On Trailer.jpg
    909.4 KB · Views: 605
So i drove to work and back home yesterday, parked the bike.
Came back a couple hours later to another puddle of gas under the bike.
Not exactly sure the source of the leak but I am assuming something worked its way from the tank to the float needle.
Tank was flushed and refilled by the shop and carbs were all cleaned out, so not entirely sure what the problem is.
I called the shop and the guy was very apologetic and asked me to bring it by this weekend so they can look at it again.

Tried to start bike friday night after work. starter went click click click
hydrolocked.
Saturday morning I took the thing apart to remove plugs and spin it over to clear gas from left side cyl.
Took vacuum line off fuel petcock and it was wet inside.
So i figured out the diaphram in petcock was bad, allowing fuel to travel directly into the intake, filled left side cylinder
and then i took the airbox apart and found that full of gas as well

talked to the owner of the shop that did the carbs and he is ordering the petcock for me and paying for it as well
the bike was much easier to take apart than I originally thought. getting pretty comfortable wrenching on it.

updates on the bike.
changed the fuel petcock, was pretty painless and the bike is running great now and no more issues with any fuel leaks.
changed the oil a 3rd time in 200 miles just to be sure i didn't have any gas in it.
the front turn signal rubber (Rside) that mount to the front fairing took a dump, so i pulled off the front fairing and replaced both of those rubber mounts so I don't have any issues with either side in the future.
bike is running great, performs well, and is a pleasure to ride.
i think i'm in the 250-300 miles range at this point and plan to rack up lots of miles this summer if the weather cooperates.

Hope you are using cheap oil. Rotella or walmart Valvoline oil FTW.

$11-12 for gallon of rotella and $3-4 for a quart of Valvoline.

Good shit man! Nike looks good. Glad you held out for a more modern style.

I'm thinking about having my Sportster's carb professionally tuned as well. Have an occasional "dead spot" when cruising on the freeway. :\

Just did my first oil change and went with AMSoil. Probably in my head but it seems to ride a lot smoother.

Back