2000 prelude help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nesluopetan

hey guys.. im new here and want to thank you all in advance for your help. I will be honest, im new to hondas.. I have a couple v8 11sec cars however this is my first honda and i am going to rely on you guys big time for help.

here is my situation. I just bought a car out of state and had it shipped to me in utah. My elevation is 4800 ft and it came from sealevel, so obviously my car is running WAY rich.. No biggie, its at a local tuning shop right now and its being dyno tuned and having a new chip burned for it and ill have it back in a couple days running great..

however,

it has the obd ii to obd i conversion on it. the stock computer is gone. the dude that i bought it from didn't have emissions so he didnt care about keeping it. the car runs just fine and clean and fun, however I have no idea how to get this to pass emissions since the OBD II computer is gone. they wont let me sniff it in the tail pipe either, it has to be passed through OBD II..

option 1:

one option a few people said is just borrow or buy a 97-01 prelude computer and throw it in my car, and put in stock injectors and turn it on and drive it nice and not go in boost and get it passed, then take it back out and switch it back to my obd i setup..

problem: we tried this. my friend has a 99 prelude and we took his computer and put it in my car and my damn car wouldnt start.. i believe its the security thing with these cars that since it didnt match the key, it wont start.. just cranks.

problem: even if we took out his key and ignition and put it on my car and got my car to start, i could not put a drive cycle on it. this jackson supercharger hits boost INSTANTLY. on my cobra, i can drive around town without hitting boost if i want too, but on my prelude its always in boost as soon as i touch the gas.. so even if the car started with a stock computer, i would be afraid of blowing the motor because of it going to boost, and even then, the computer would fail me for having the positive vacuum. so I don't see this option working either.

option 2:

take off the supercharger belt.. ( tried that..car wont idle )

option 3:

find a friend to pass the car for you..
( they are cracking down on this big time here.. everyone is getting busted so they are not doing this anymore )

solution?

I have no idea. what do you guys recommend? isnt there any OBD II tuners available for these cars? I know im talking about apples to oranges here, but my cobra has OODLES of mods on it and im still OBD II.. i can pull up to a emission test and pass it with flying colors every time.. why cant they do this for preludes?

what do you guys suggest I do? Obviously a few of you will say " you should of thought of this before you bought it " or you might say " your screwed, buy a turbo " however I always beleive there is options out there that I just dont know of yet, and thats why im here. I love the sound of this prelude and supercharger, I am not tryign to build a race car, I already have a couple fast cars.. this is just a fun cruiser car for me.. asking for yoru guys' help.. any suggestions or ideas that I havent said would be great guys.. I dont mind running OBD I, but I have to find a way to pass.. it makes it hard without the stock computer in the car.. im all ears guys.. please let me know what you think I should do.

Thanks again.. excited to be a new member of this site..

where are you located? if your in cali then you cant have an obd1 motor in an obd2 car. they wont pass it through inspection.

you have to convert it to obd2 i believe, im not 100% positive but i dont think it will run on an obd2 ecu if everythings obd1.

thats the only thing i can think of.

Back