2001 Audi S4

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stedscivic

Found an 2001 Audi S4 and thinking about trading my 01 Accord for.

anyone know the pros and cons about the S4. V6 biturbo so it has be be decently quick. how hard is the maintenance to keep up on? easy to work on? im thinking everything will be crammed in under the hood.

I work on them for a living - and do your homework with this car. Unless you have the money to spend on these things they get VERY expensive VERY fast. Here are some issues I've found..

-Instrument cluster center display will dim/not work
-Blown speakers (Bose replacements are $$$)/Blown amps (again, $$$)
-T-belt replacement/waterpump/thermostat - T-belt on these engines is a bitch, and if you screw it up, you instantly will bend 30 valves. Thermostat and water pump must be done with the T-belt.
-Secondary coolant pump/valley leaks - big time leaks under the IM on higher mileage cars, secondary coolant pump can fail or leak as well. Not a cheap item.
-Boost leaks. (Have you seen under the hood?)
-Ball joints an tie rods tend to wear on higher mileage cars, and the S4 had 2 upper and 2 lower balljoints, and the control arm bushings wear out too.
-Brakes get expensive, unless you tackle them yourself, and use aftermarket parts. OE rotors and a set of pads is close to $800 for the front.
-Leaky camshaft/adjuster seals - replacement means a partial teardown of the engine, removals of cams, etc.
-Torn CV boots/leaky prop seals/axle seals.

So again, buyer beware. When it runs normal, it's a fast car and a lot of potential, but lose track of preventative maintenance and it gets crazy in a hurry.

Back