2001 H22A to 96 Accord LX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

urnemesis

Hi,

My 96 Accord has 215K miles on it. The engine still working and running fine, but I am starting to look into swapping a H22A from a 2001 Prelude that a guy is selling to me.

The orinal engine on the 96 Accord is a F22B2 and transmission automatic. I dont know what is the OBD I or II. How I can find this inforamtion and what do I need to verify on the H22A that I am buying. I will like to keep my transmission if possible.

Will the 2001 H22A and harness fit in my accord without much issues?

thanks

96+ is OBD2. You'll still need to make a few minor wiring changes though, since you'd be going from OBD2A to OBD2B. As for mounting the engine and compatability with the transmission, it should all bolt up. One thing to consider though: the Accord transmission's gear ratios aren't really the best for an H22. If you could find an automatic H22 transmission to accompany the motor the end result would be more satisfying...

Thanks for the pointers! Good thing is that I am buying the engine with the automatic transmission + axels.
Do you know where I can find more information on the wiring modification from OBD2A to OBD2B?
Can I use the axels from the 2001 Prelude or do I need to use the 96 Accord or a combination?
What engine harness will I be using the Prelude's or the Accords?
Is the ECU already on the 96 Accord (Non-VTEC) okay to run the 01 Prelude H22A (VTEC) or so I need to buy that too?

I appreciate the feedback and my appologies for so many questions, but I want to make this a daily reliable driver with some juice as well !! :(

i would definately buy an ecu for your prelude motor...preferably the one that was originally used on the car the engine youre buying came from. the prelude engines vtec is programmed to kick on and off at certain rpm's. if i recall correctly, i think its set to kick in at 2400 rpms and it kicks off when the engine falls under 2200 rpm's. i havent driven an 01 prelude since 01 when they were new to the dealerships. every prelude, v-6 accord and S-2000 i got a chance to drive i did with a lead foot :) crashed one too. but you defnately need the 01 prelude ecu

Some more questions!!

Thanks for the information!!

Can anyone help me with these other questions?
Do you know where I can find more information on the wiring modification from OBD2A to OBD2B?
Can I use the axels from the 2001 Prelude or do I need to use the 96 Accord or a combination?
What engine harness will I be using the Prelude's or the Accords?

Thanks and my apologies if this was answer previously!! :mellow:

i'm not sure on the axles. if you do require the prelude axles you might need the prelude hub assembly in the front. the prelude has 5 lugs so youll need new rims. the v-6 accords have 5 lugs and their front hubs may work also with your car and prelude axles.you might also have to replace the steering knuckles with units to mount your new hub assemblies to if theyre required for your mod. the honda odyssey is anothe 5 lug honda you can look to for your mod if the prelude or v-6 accord parts dont work but i hope you find your mod easy and you dont have to replace anything. as to the wire harness i would use the preludes engine harness mostly. make sure you look into the fuel pump specs. the prelude may require a fuel pump that puts out a higher fuel flow. the prelude should have 47-54 psi fuel pressure with the regulator vacume hose disconnected. its OEM number is 17040S30A50. idk what you have now but i thought it was a 97 accord. i can check that too if you want. is your car the 97 accord? as to your gauges youll probably have to look at your wire diagram and the preludes and see what you have to cut off the preludes harness and connect to your instrument pannel harnesses and other harnesses. i have all that info on wire diagrams too if you dont

ECU Removed and Harness from 01 Prelude

Just finished working today on getting the ECU and the harness OBD II harness out. For my surprise the Prelude has a (AT Control Unit) which I also pulled as well given that I am taking the transmission and probably will need it. Here is some information:

• 01 Prelude ECU (Serial No. 37820-P5M-L55)
  • Automatic Transmission Control Unit (Serial No. 28100-P5M-A06
Know comes the questions???

Do I have to plug this back together the same way it was on the Prelude?
The shifter for the automatic trans is different and appears to have some kind of trip-tronic option. Will it work without any issues on the accord by just plug inn as it was on the Prelude.

I am still not sure about the Axels. Will they work on the accord? Where can I go to get more information on the axels.

Thanks again and my apologies for so many questions!
:(

i think its set to kick in at 2400 rpms and it kicks off when the engine falls under 2200 rpm's.

Errr...what? :confused:

If that's true, it would be major news to me. I thought it was around 5200 RPMs for an H22. VTEC engaging at 2400 rpms? That's like some dual-stage VTEC-e sounding shit. There wouldn't be a benefit to engaging regular VTEC at 2400 RPMS. That's the whole point of regular VTEC, so that you can make decent power at high RPMs and still maintain good gas mileage...

Last edited:
yeah i'm not sure what the rpm was set for when i was driving those preludes but thats whyi stated the phrase "if i recall correctly." now as to the first few years of the S-2000 they had their vtec pogrammed to kick in at like 7000 rpms. not sure exactly what it was but it was way up there. in 2004 honda brought the vtec system down to kick in around the 4500 rpm area. i guess drivers complained in the early S-2000 about the high reving engines. go figure huh.

Can someone please answer!

Guys thanks for the other tech info..it is useful...can someone please tell me about this other questions I got?

"Do I have to plug this back together the same way it was on the Prelude?
The shifter for the automatic trans is different and appears to have some kind of trip-tronic option. Will it work without any issues on the accord by just plug inn as it was on the Prelude."

I am still not sure about the Axels. Will they work on the accord? Where can I go to get more information on the axels.

Please Help

Can someone please answer! Guys thanks for the other tech info..it is useful...can someone please tell me about this other questions I got?

"Do I have to plug this back together the same way it was on the Prelude?
The shifter for the automatic trans is different and appears to have some kind of trip-tronic option. Will it work without any issues on the accord by just plug inn as it was on the Prelude."

Back