2003 Outback or 2001 Passat 2.0 turbo?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
So I am torn between these two. The Passat has a beautiful engine, but the interior is,while clean, falling apart. The Outback has a nice looking engine too, way nice interior, but is 2000 more. The Passat is 2200, the Outback is 3995.

Opinions on either? Both?

i would go with the subaru over the vw.

but, do check about the headgaskets. with that kind of price i expect it is at some kind of dealer, in which case they will know nothing about the car.

so, you can use that as a bargaining chip. head gaskets and timing belt need to be done. if there is no record of it, it needs to be done.

timing belt is cheap, just be damn careful when pulling and inserting the bolts for the water pump, very easy to pull the threads out. ask me how i know. lol.

of the 2 i would opt for the subaru
early 2000s were a rough time for VW

Reactions: B16
WP_20140422_004.jpg WP_20140422_009.jpg WP_20140422_012.jpg WP_20140422_013.jpg WP_20140422_015.jpg
WP_20140422_004.jpg
WP_20140422_009.jpg
WP_20140422_012.jpg
WP_20140422_013.jpg
WP_20140422_015.jpg
hg done in the outback?

I doubt it, engine bay is really clean, looks nice.

i would go with the subaru over the vw.

but, do check about the headgaskets. with that kind of price i expect it is at some kind of dealer, in which case they will know nothing about the car.

so, you can use that as a bargaining chip. head gaskets and timing belt need to be done. if there is no record of it, it needs to be done.

timing belt is cheap, just be damn careful when pulling and inserting the bolts for the water pump, very easy to pull the threads out. ask me how i know. lol.

These guys don't have a clue, both of the CV boots are torn, they didn't know, and didn't care. There is no bargaining at this place, it's one of those joints that exploits people with bad credit by not doing any credit checks, but charges 21% interest.

Honestly, the Subaru is the one we both want, but we are entertaining other cars in the 2,000-2,500 range since that's what we have on hand, and wouldn't have to finance anything.

The Subaru's interior, exterior, and engine are all nice, but you can tell it's a 2003, light wear, but very clean. The VW's engine bay looks like a 2013, the paint is nice, except the roof, and some of the trunk were it is faded, and the clear coat is going away, however on the interior the carpet, and seats are in great shape, but all the cloth, like the headliner, and trim on the door panels, it looks like the adhesive is failing, it's all lose. And I couldn't quite pinpoint it, but there is something wrong in the suspension, there was some light feedback in the steering wheel, and it really wanted to over steer in left turns, but not in right turns.

Looking at the pictures of the VW's engine bay, it looks like it was replaced, or had a lot of work done very recently. You can see like on the fuse box how it looks to be the right age, and a couple other pieces look the right age, but most of the other parts look brand new. Maybe a good thing? Lots of new engine stuff?

Haha, well our other choice so far that I have found is a 2001 Saturn SL1, it's a stick, and clean, has a radio, cold ac, and runs good, but it's from a car company that no longer exist, and they are asking a few hundred over Blue Book.

Its so easy to make an engine bay look like new. The Passat is missing the rain tray too. I'm sure if you look underneath its seeping oil from everywhere. The 2.0t had issues with carbon build up. If you really want one go for the 2.8. Its slightly better reliability wise, but still a VW. Keep in mind for a timing belt, the whole front end is coming off.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

So how interchangeable are these? Are there good easy swap options like Hondas?

Last edited:
My buddy just got rid of his 98 Passat... run, run as fast as you can...lol

Also, can't the sti swap be done on the subie?

My buddy just got rid of his 98 Passat... run, run as fast as you can...lol

Also, can't the sti swap be done on the subie?

That would be too fun to cram the STi turbo in this little grocery getter.

Yea, we did run as fast I we could lol. Under the front was just like Chaz said, nice oil drip right in the middle of the engine. Besides, I've wanted an Outback for years, shhh don't tell nobody. It actually exactly what we need, four door, lots of room, good on gas, and lots of potential once we get another newer car for another daily.

Back