2004 Civic EX Coupe Swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xxstarcraftxx

Hey everyone... sorry if this is a repost... but i have been looking for a while to find an answer to my question and havent found it...

My 2004 civic ex coupe needs power... i know that modifying the stock engine is out of the question (waste of time and money)... however, i can not decide on an engine to swap.

I've read a lot about the K20a3 and a2... even though the a3 is looking more promising because of the 5 speed trans. i understand there are better advantages for the a2. For my price range and power desires, i am looking at the a3.

i am still unclear about the whole engine swap... i know it's not as easy as in and out... other parts are needed to make the swap complete...

Has anyone out there done (or know of someone) who has done a swap in my generation of honda's? If so, what other parts did they have to purchase or what modifications did they have to make to stock parts to make them fit with the swap. (ex. tranny?, ECU?, mounting bracket?, etc)

Right now i only want to do an engine swap to get a little more power and leave potential for additional upgrades... (maybe a turbo).

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

http://hasport.com/News/Articles/ESK1.htm

Parts Needed
- K20A2 or K20A3 (from Civic Si) Engine With:
- AC compressor
- alternator
- P/S pump or idler pulley (from Civic Si)
- wiring harness
- exhaust manifold and catalytic converter

- ECU
- Transmission and starter
- intermediate shaft
- Axles from either 02 Civic Si or 94 up Integra GSR
- RSX or 02 Civic Si subframe
- Hasport ESK1 bolt in mount kit \
- Hasport ESKWH conversion wiring harness
- RSX shifter assembly and cables
- 02 Civic Si radiator and fans (although the RSX will fit with some trimming around the radiator cap opening in the grill)
- 02 Civic Si upper and lower radiator hoses (RSX are longer and may kink)
- RSX throttle cable
- RSX fuel line, brake booster line and purge line
- RSX AC line from compressor to condensor
- RSX clutch lines from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder
- Custom AC line from compressor to evaporator
- 90 Accord negative battery cable

- If you want powersteering:
- RSX high pressure powersteering hose and return line
- 92 Civic P/S resevoir w/ bracket and a section of hydraulic hose to go from the pump to the resevoir

now by no means is this the only way to go....its just what they used for their swap. its def not a drop-in though. And it may be usefull to not waste your money on a k20a3... why only have 2 lobes? Not worth it to me.

Im just looking for more power dude... It def. doesnt seem like it's worth it. Has anyone else done this that may be able to simplify the installation or perhaps is there another engine that will drop in with very few mods?

Thanks YouKnowWhoIBee

I dont think that there is a swap that you can do with very few mods in your situation.

Yeah... i have found that out through my research... However, I have found a turbo that is safe for a stock engine and that will be enough power for me.

I found it at www.epsturbos.com for about $2500 for all those looking for power on your D17 01-05 Civics

Alas our poor d17. the above swap is what in on the way to (k20a2) i have the motor, trans ecu and misc susup pieces. I know a few ppl with the TSI kit on the d17. A few probs at the start (2001 or so when the kit hit the pavement) but the seem to be worked out.

I just recently had a turbo put into mu 04 civic ex coupe with stock d17 motor. It's putting 250hp to the wheels and about 290 to the motor. Have had it for about 3 months now... no problems what soever. I had it professionally done though so I didnt screw anything up. Took about 2 1/2 months to get done. Was way cheaper than an engine swap, less parts needed, and the only thing that needed to be changed on the stock motor was fuel injectors (stock 200cc to 500cc), fuel pump, and smaller raiator fan and a 3200 lb clutch (stage 3). It's a t4 turbo set-up so its really crammed in there lol. And of course all of the parts for the turbo. It was about $3,000 cheaper than an engine swap and it is way more powerful than a stock k20 motor. A tiny tiny bit if turbo lag becasue it's only a 1.7L engine, but it spools up pretty damn quick for how big the turbo is. Also my mechanic recommended a 3" exhaust for turbo cars exxpecially cars over 200 hp. Hope you do the turbo instead because the results are better than an engine swap and its cheaper. There are a couple draw backs. Stock motors with turbos shouldnt be boosted while cold, and shouldnt be boosted in fifth gear really hard unless your tranny or axle is of higher qulity than stock. I would also recommend having the rear drum brakes swapped out with an si rear disc set-up. Slotted rotors (not drilled they crack sometimes), and steel braded break lines. the steel braded break lines are a must because the rear discs are slaved off of the master cylinder and wont give you better stopping power unless thats thrown in there (only an extra $100). Hope that helps :)

O forgot a couple other parts fr stock motors.... Ecu changed out with a hondata ecu, and needs an adjustable cam gear.

Back