2004 GSX-R1000 down

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
Im sure most of you remember Me talking about how the ZX10R would be to much power for most anyone, and then I posted a video of an R1 proving the point I was trying to make about how you cannot ride them hard in the turns becuase with to much power the rear can get out from under you. Welp for those of you who think you've been riding a 600cc supersport bike and think well I think I can handle the power of a 1 liter bike becuase I have "control" over myself.... read on..... This guy started out on a "I think" 400cc bike and then moved up to a 600cc bike that has the same motor as a Suzuki Katana.

my good buddy had his new 04 gsxr-1000 for 3 weeks and high sided it today. his previous bike was a yamaha seca2 and then a b6 when he told me he wanted a new bike i warned him and warned him about stepping up to a liter supersport. but he would not listen. i said your going to get some thing with double the hp and tourqe of your b6 you do not realize how much power that really is but again he said "oh i can handle it "
so he wrecked it in a corner when he gave it to much throtle and now his bike is a total wreck. just another example for those who want to go supersized when your not ready to respect the bike.

Sucks for him.

On a side note, I just dropped my boyfriend off at his house so that he can go out and do his "130 stand-ups". I thought he meant 180, & he enlightened me that he meant stand-up wheelies at 130 MPH. :( I told him that when he wrecks, I'll be in the bed right next to him in the hospital- with a heart attack!

There you go, start small go big even in car IMO. A guy I knew started out on a big powerful car, and just got his license, thought he knew how to handle it, and flipped it a few times, needless to say he learned his lesson.

a buddy of mine has ridden for 10+ years... He had a 2000 F4... He just bought a 2004 R1... He's SCARED SHITLESS of it... He says he will NEVER use 6th, and VERY VERY rarely use 5th gear.

During break in he was doing 97mph in 3rd gear at 6800rpms. First gear goes over 100mph... He says the bike is NUTS, and requires NOTHING except for the gearing to be changed to slow the bike down..

Be careful if you think you can handle this bike.

yah people are dumb man. But how are you ever supposed to get used to a 1000cc bike without riding it? A 750 isn't even close.

I remember at the Penna1 Honda meet in Pennsylvania, checking out a highly boosted, built to the hilt ITR - And even when you do a swap and go from 160hp to over 350hp the car becomes dangerous. I'll remember what he said :

"You can't get all uptight when someone wants to race you. Remain calm at all times, because if you just kick down a gear, and floor it from your adrenalin, you'll go into a guardrail, guaranteed. The power wheels are the same as the steering wheels, and even though the car handles well, when that torque gets the front end spinning, it takes a few seconds to get your steering back."

Sometimes even in my CRX I can jump out of a corner with a slight nudge on the pedal.

A bike has got to be worse. Because that GSXR is still a very competant bike, and as far as bikes go, it's difficult to dump at speed. That's actually not a good thing to a new biker as he will compensate the moment the back end kicks out, and end up in a high speed wobble situation, around a corner, and be ON the bike when it hits the guardrail.

The hardest thing for a new biker to do is trust the design and mannerisms of the bike, regardless of the size.

Then again, drifting a car is like that too. When I began drifting my natural tendency was to initiate the drift, then immediately take steps to get it out of the spin. The result was bringing the front end back around and plowing straight into ( and off of) the curve. Now I let the ass end rip, and literally just sit there while the car does it's thing. If it's well balanced (read, well designed) the car will come back on it's own. Now During the slide my heart actually slows down, and I can take a breather while I mentally prepare for the next slide.

So my point is, that when people say they feel connected to a car, It should feel like a pair of skiis. Yeah, you're sliding and stuff, but you're still in control. Take the right attitude during a situation, and respect the design of the bike (or vehicle) and you'll be fine.

-> Steve
Its also better to hit the ground loosey-goosey rather than all tense.

Back