2005-2006 Snow Tire thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I've actually found that Motomaster Icetrac's work pretty good, yes they are a cheap as tire, but the tread seems to really dig in the snow, and I live in norther Canada, so trust me, I drive 9 months of the year on ice and snow no American could imagine... lol Seriously though, I'll take some pics of our snowfall this year and post one here, the road full of cars looks like a snowcovered sand dune after a nice snowfall... (cries)

BTW do not try driving a gutted 92 hatch on Federal 205/40R17 80V's on snow.... I was 100 miles from home on our first snowfall last year, doing about 10-15 mph down the highway home, took 2 days:/

Quoted post[/post]]

B, I go to school in the UP of michigan in the most northen, lake effected area, so we get a shit load of snow (300inches average) and with the ws50's, I have never had a problem.

i've got different needs here. I'm RARELY driving over 4" of snow.. 95% of the time, its "packed" from traffic, or left over plow residuals... its more icey than it is deep.

i found this interesting:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-26846.html

the ws_50's they quote as being "Dangerous" and disqualified them. lol i have no idea on the merits of the test...

Quoted post[/post]]

Actually, I've never heard of them :)

Any good? lol.

supposedly the best... i've never used them, but they are mad $$$ and no like one sells them.

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tiresub.cfm?cid=1&sid=1

the RSI's are supposed to be bad ass, as are the hakka's, but the hakka's are due to be done with...

they are made in sweeden... they know snow. lol

Quoted post[/post]]
I've actually found that Motomaster Icetrac's work pretty good, yes they are a cheap as tire, but the tread seems to really dig in the snow, and I live in norther Canada, so trust me, I drive 9 months of the year on ice and snow no American could imagine... lol Seriously though, I'll take some pics of our snowfall this year and post one here, the road full of cars looks like a snowcovered sand dune after a nice snowfall... (cries)
i doubt they even make a 225/45/17. lol and thats what i need for the suby. MAYBE a 215/45/17, but i dont think thats a very common size either... and putting $30 tires on a $30,000 car, just doesn't make sense :p

BTW do not try driving a gutted 92 hatch on Federal 205/40R17 80V's on snow.... I was 100 miles from home on our first snowfall last year, doing about 10-15 mph down the highway home, took 2 days:/

been there, done that... wasn't that far from home though... lol
getting cought in the first storm sucks :cry:

as an aside, i ran the mich x-ice last season on the hatch. great freakin tire. tood bad they've been replaced with something else...
i HATE michelin tires. the ONLY reason why i bought them, was TireRack.com had them for half price. lmao.
they ended up actually working pretty damn good.

TireRack.com recommends the dunlop sport M3's for my car, and going through a catalog, looks like they recommend that for most of the audi's and bmw's too.

updatE:
just found a place in NY that carries the RSI's

http://my.50below.com/sitebuilder/products...8&bcname=nokian

i requested a quote... let's see what they have to say...

You guys better buy those tires soon. I just drove home from MA tonight and it started snowing. Here comes whitey!

welp, i bought some snow gear :)

4 x Rota Boost Wheel
- Wheel Dimensions: 17x8, 5x114.3, e48, 56.1hb, Charcoal Grey

4 x 225/45VR-17 Dunlop Winter Sport M3

the rotas were cheaper than scoring a set of used OEM wheels, and all the ones TireRack.com had that fit the sti suck ass or were 500 a pop... so, i'm rolling on rota's this winter :)

Awesome, and now

s4048fbec94ee3.jpg

:)

yeah, not bad. the roats were cheaper than stock sti wheels. those things are still going for 800 bucks with no tires USED.

i thought they were mad light, but they aren't... they are 19.2 lbs... so they really aren't worth it. the roats are 20.2 i think...

but whatever... its something i can tolerate for a winter wheel :)

spring time, i'll throw the stockers back on for DD duties, and i'll probably pick up some 17x9 with 245/40/17's R-comps or something close for autox

Quoted post[/post]]
but, i'm buying a winter tire... not an all season or summer tire that can do snow.

Yeah, I know- my summer tires worked in a pinch, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to try and drive them every day in the snow/ice.

Quoted post[/post]]
yeah, not bad. the roats were cheaper than stock sti wheels. those things are still going for 800 bucks with no tires USED.

i thought they were mad light, but they aren't... they are 19.2 lbs... so they really aren't worth it. the roats are 20.2 i think...

but whatever... its something i can tolerate for a winter wheel :)

spring time, i'll throw the stockers back on for DD duties, and i'll probably pick up some 17x9 with 245/40/17's R-comps or something close for autox

Wow- those wheels look nice! I thought the OEM STi wheels were supposed to weigh 14 pounds? At least that's what I was told about the 2004s.

Back