Which one?

• Lexus IS 350

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Either one.

• Neiter o

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Seany-izzle

Whats up people. Okay, heres the deal. In two years im getting a new car, when i graduate college, well a semester after cuz im graduating in the middle of the school year. Well, i've talked it over with the folks and part of my graduation gift is a whole bunch of cash(rents, family, friends), which i plan on using most of it on a dp on a new car. My father and I came up with a deal. He will purchase a new car this year, then when i graduate ill buy it from him for whatever he owes on it at the time. Come time for me to buy the car from him, itll cost less than me buying the same car, used from a dealer. He will put no money down, and if he has to (lexus likes to go have sales come winter time) he'll just put money out of the cash they were going to give me initially, which in the end will still equal the same amount in 2 years when i buy it..so dont worry about that. We took care of the financial part...

On to the car.

2006 Lexus GS 300 AWD

GS-479.jpg

GS-473_lg.jpg

Originally posted by Lexus.com
GS 300:

-  3.0-liter (183 cubic inch), four-cam, four valves per cylinder 60° direct injection V6 engine. Certified Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (U-LEV)
-  245 hp @ 6,200 rpm, 230 lb-ft torque @ 3,600 rpm 
-  Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i)
-  0 to 60 in  6.9 seconds (AWD)
-  Top track speed: 130 mph (AWD)  (electronically limited)
-  Aerodynamic drag coefficient: 0.27
-  Six-speed sequential-shift automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i)
-  Full-time all-wheel drive, with standard Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
-  Estimated fuel consumption: 22/30 mpg city/highway (RWD) [3], 21/27 mpg city/highway (AWD) [3]
-  Electronic vehicle-speed-sensing, progressive power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering.  3.1 turns lock-to-lock.
-  Front suspension: Independent double-wishbone with coil springs, gas-pressurized shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
-  Rear suspension: Independent multi-link with coil springs, gas-pressurized shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
-  17 x 7.5-in alloy wheels with 225/50VR17 tires (17 x 7.5-in alloy wheels.
(will get optional 18" wheels with wider tires, dunno exaclty what size)

Car and Driver Article

Its a beautiful car in person. Each of us have gone for test drives, and each of us love the car. I dont really want a honda anymore, and i dont want a compact coupe or hatch. Im not going to auto-x, drag, road race..any of that, atleast not with this car, im keeping my civic and i can work on that when i can afford it down the road.

What is everyones thoughts on the car? Not so much the deal or my plans, but the car itself. Anyone driven one? Thoughts, experiences, opinions, anything?

More pictures:
Lexus.com Gallery
Yahoo Auto Gallery

2006 Lexus is 350.

Official Lexus Site
is35006_01.jpg

is35006_06.jpg

More Pictures

Edmunds Article
Car and Driver article
my.is article

This car looks great, and i plan on test driving one as soon as i see them hit the showroom floors. 0-60 is faster, plus it does seem to be a better car for the money, just not as big as teh gs300. Well, looks like its time to change the old mans idea of a gs and turn it into the is350.

What are your thoghts on this car, the is 350???

we havent done much research on the is350. BUt as of right now, we are looking at the gs heavily, and probably the IS more so, when we can physically touch one. We wouldnt make a decision until the christmas time/early 07 when lexus has their annual sales and such. Id rather buy it from my dad who i know doesnt beat on cars or put alot of milage on them. Good to know it was in good hands and i can keep track of all his mishaps, shedule maintence checkups and all that, too.

Sorry to shit on your parade, but a house would be the most lucarative and mature decision.

i dont want a house. I plan on living here wher ei go to school when i graduate, but only for a few years then i plan on moving to boston where id get an apartment, cuz thats all you really need in boston. So im probably going to be renting for a while. Stay here a few years, rent apt, save money, gain experince, move to boston, rent apt, get more experience, then move up, as i move up and salary goes up then ill look into buying a house.

If I put $8000 down, I would pay at least $1000 a month for 4 years. How did you work any financial magic to make this happen ?

id pay what he owed on it.. so itd be paying for the remaining three years, spread over 4 or 5 years :) Oh, and dont flame cuz my parents are helpin me out big time, i dont wanna hear it cuz im def not a spoiled kid nor do i take very many things for granted, i realize and fully appreciate their help. None of you really know me or my background/childhood, so no general lame comment please. thanks!!!

What engine does the 350 have in it? Is it a new design, or just a variation on an existing engine? It sounds odd.

The GS300 has been around awhile, and thus has the refinement of a true luxury car. The IS just kinda seems like it was created specifically for the late 20s professionals fresh out of school with their masters degrees. It's the second redesign, and IMO it looks like total ass. If the door panels weren't tall enough before they definitely fixed that little problem. :p

Seriously though. The IS300 is a very nice car both mechanically and aesthetically, but the new ones have a strange engine (never heard of a toyota with a 3.5 liter engine.) and an even more strange design - I'd stick with the GS.

yeah don't get a strange engine :ph34r:

Lexus is all luxury, so get which ever you want. The new is350 has some good power. I'm not a fan of big cars like the gs, so i would get the is. Too bad the 350 will not have the manual option as the one with a smaller engine.

Originally posted by allbottledup@Sep 18 2005, 07:00 AM
i say get an is300 and swap the supra motor in. Then you have real power and luxary.
[post=556199]Quoted post[/post]​

definately.

the is300 looks tons better than the is350.

personally i feel the 350 looks better. Do you know the cost of swapping or turboing an is300??? youre looking at about 12 grand when all is said and done...ive looked into it extensively.

and swapping a whole supra tt motor in the car isnt as easy as pulling the old out and bolting the new in. plus the cost factor... cost of a supra tt motor is about triple the cost of a b18 and the 6 speed getrag trans is about twice the cost of a b18... so yeah..

wow those are pretty fucking ugly
maybe the pictures just suck
have to see them in person

ive seen the gs in person, its glorious lol. well i thikn its a very sharp car. and no i dont want supra anything, i was making a statement

Well, I'd personally suggest the IS350. Basically a Lexus with the handling and road manners of a car in a higher price bracket. Unfortunately, if you want a stick, its not offered in the IS350. It will feel faster and give better feedback than the GS300. Also, if you want a mid-fullsize car with realative style, power and handling, I'd look at the new Legacy GT 2.5. One of my friends has one, and it's awsome. Perfect interior, nice motor, and plenty of thrust. Also available as a stick.

It's nice youre going for a practicle, subtle car - I'd be looking at STI's and Evo's.

:thumbsup: On graduating college. Starting my freshman year in engineering - and it's a long road.

well people are going to have a hard time....

Originally posted by Car and Driver
Most cars have port fuel injection or direct injection. The new Lexus IS350 has both, in a twin-injection system called D-4S, to imporve low-speed and cold-start emissions. Toyota's new 2GR-FSE engine, a 306-hp, 3.5 litre V-6, has six pairs of injetors, one in each intake port and one in the cylinders themselves. During high-rpm, high-load conditions (stomping the throttle to pass, for example), only the cylinder injectors operate to maximize control over injection timing for better power. When the engine starts cold or runs at low-to-middle speeds and low-load conditions, such as cruising on the avenue, the injectors work together, varying their share of fuel delivery with conditions. The port injector induces better mixing at light throttleopenings. On cold start, the port injector and the direct injector and the direct injector work together to create a lean stratified charge that burns hot and lihts off the catalyst more quickly.

good luck hacking that system, or adding your own fuel delivery system ;)

Back