2006 SCDA event list

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
See http://www.scda1.com for more info

DONT WAIT to sign up if you are interested in lime rock park dates in june/july, as they open regi for these april 1st. you should have it in the mail on april 1st.

Monday March 27 - LRP
Monday April 24 - NHIS
Monday May 1 - Watkins Glen
Tuesday May - Watkins Glen
Friday May 12 - LRP
Tuesday May 30 - NHIS
Friday June 23 - LRP
Saturday June 24 - LRP
Monday July 10 - NHIS
Monday August 28 - NHIS
Friday Oct. 20 - NHIS
Friday Nov. 3 - LRP

im looking forward to hitting a few of these this year i missed out on last year :cry:

E, I'm def doing one of the LRP's this year. i'm talking to my buddy steve (tbone's friend) who's an instructor. Gonna try to get some seat time with him this season.

Anyone plan on running at the glen? I would love to since its so close to me but i'm a pussy so I won't. Maybe i should look into it some more.

EDIT: I read the FAQs and I think I can do this. Count the sol in for at least one day at the glen.

yeah man, just go in the beginner group. you'll have an instructor, and you can go at your own pace. its NOT a race.
there are SPECIFIC passing zones for beginners (mostly straights) and if you are the slow car, you are to wave past people coming up behind you.

you have a better chance of crashing on the way TO the event that driving IN the event in a beginner class.

its a 'school' not a race

I was just thinking I should start in a few autoX events first. Only track time I have is the one time at the drag strip. I'm not saying I can't drive, but would this be a good place to start?

def. autoX will help make you a better driver. and its on slower speeds, so you learn a LOT faster. the learning cruve at autoX isn't too steep. steping right onto a road course is a pretty steep learning curve.
but 1 day with an instructor will have you never driving the same again.

yep, ive driven watkins glen before and i will tell you flat out its a fucking intimidating course
its really big and it can get a little confusing remembering what is coming up next
there also isnt much run off area if you fuck up a corner... some of the barricades were right at the edge of the track... it was my second time on a track when i went to the glen... it was fun... but i would have gotten a lot more out of it if i had a little more experience

limerock is an excelent course, its small enough that it is easy to remember what is next, but it is actually a VERY challenging course, and its not easy to get it completely nailed down

NHIS is a perfect course for smaller cars that rely on handling... many equate it to a really large autox course... i havent been there yet but i am looking forward to hitting it this year

as far as where to start i highly recommend hitting several autox events (at least half a season) before you go to the track
autox teaches you the limits of the car at a much lower speed and with much less risk involved if you do fuck up or pass the limits (cones are better to hit than a wall, a barricade, or even worse, another car)
autox also teaches you that the trick to being fast is being smooth (jerking the car around on a road course in an 80mph corner and its not going to be pretty)
autox will teach you some basics of proper line choice (its much harder to judge on an autox course, if you can do it there then you should be able to handle it on a road course)
autox experience will make you a better road courser (while road course experience can spoil you, and actually hurt your performance on an autox course)

also if you can go to the track already understanding and being proficient at trail braking and heal-toe shifting, it will help you a great deal

the SCDA instructors are great... the classroom time was also quite helpful... i learned more on my first 8 hour day at the track than i did in the previous 8 years id had my license

it is true it sucks that you are both lazy :)

Back