2007: BMW returns to turbocharging

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Power output is up only 47 hp over the normally aspirated version of the same 3.0-liter six found in the 330i, but BMW claims that turbo lag is all but avoided and — more importantly — peak torque increases 34 percent and is available from 1500 to 5800 rpm. BMW estimates that the twin-turbo setup gives the 335i's six the power and torque characteristics of a 4.0-liter V-8 with 10 percent less fuel consumption and 145 fewer pounds.

its about economy...
the M3 is geared more towards performance...

I was thinking that at first, but it even says it has small turbos on it and the turbos themselves only make 47 more hp then the N/A version of the motor, but 34% more torque, which is always nice.

It was the same with the 2.7TT S4, it doesn't have a huge amount of power, but a ncie amount of torque. A chip upgrade on an S4 increases hp to over 300. I think it's going to be similar with the BMW, a few simple upgrades and you'll think a little differently.

It's got decent power, but more importantly it's a damn sexy RWD coupe. :mrgreen:

Quoted post[/post]]
IN power it sucks.6 cylinder twin turbo only 300 hp

Thats more than a 300zx made y0

Quoted post[/post]]
I was thinking that at first, but it even says it has small turbos on it and the turbos themselves only make 47 more hp then the N/A version of the motor, but 34% more torque, which is always nice.

It was the same with the 2.7TT S4, it doesn't have a huge amount of power, but a ncie amount of torque. A chip upgrade on an S4 increases hp to over 300. I think it's going to be similar with the BMW, a few simple upgrades and you'll think a little differently.

Yeah my friend has an MTM chip in his S4. HUGE diff over stock.

Quoted post[/post]]

Totally agree. Look at all the other turbo cars, Evos, Skylines, Supras, etc.. Simple bolt-ons and/or ecu mods and significant horsepower is seen. Besides, like the others mentioned, "its an eco" version. Turbo diesels are pretty big in Euro because they pay like 2.50 per litre or more and 3.85 litres equal one gallon. Thats a lot more than what we pay.

ew. thats ugly. cpo'ed e46 FTW!!!! hehe. Bout time the bmw 330 got a little more oomph.

more power = less mpg. going from old model to new you should up the power some. if they up it to much they would reduce the mpg and push the car closer to the Ms power... whats the point?

most people that buy 3 series buy them becuase they want a nice daily driver. Most are OVER 25 years old and could care less about their 3 series being super powerful they want a nice balanced car. If they wanted even more power they'd just buy a M.

Back