2007 Civic... for $170

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
A charity is raffling off an 07 civic for a ticket price of 170 bucks....

Civic

I'm really considering buying a ticket. thoughts?

if you win it, you'll have to cover the taxes for it, unless the car is in FL....and then you'll have to go pick it up...ohh well...there's got to be a catch....I'd be happy witht he home depot card though....

you can take 16k cash instead of the car they said...
take the cash, pay the 30% and you still walk out with 10k in your pocket with 0 hasssel, and some money goes to the chairty.

eh, see how many tickets they are selling
lol

a girl in my senior class won a car like that
her dad purchased a $100 ticket for a new in 1998 sunfire
he won...
so his daughter got a new car
and they really didn't need to win either, he owned the local resort etc...

$170 is a pretty retarded price for a raffle ticket.. I've bought them for $10 and even $25.. but that is way too much for something like that. Taxes on a civic would be $1000ish.. probably less. I'd pay that for an '07 anything.. Well, maybe not a hyundai..

I'd pass. Go put $170 on a random number on a roulette wheel. The risk/prize ratio is way better. Wow, that works out funny, 170 tickets at $170 = $16k.. Then they X2'd it to get 16k for the charity.. Sorry, struck me funny for some reason..

They do have a little class though, its a Civic Si.. not just some random base model.

Taxes on a civic would be $1000ish.. probably less.
correct, if you purchased the car...
raffle winnings = income according to the federal gov't = taxes

I'd pass. Go put $170 on a random number on a roulette wheel. The risk/prize ratio is way better. Wow, that works out funny, 170 tickets at $170 = $16k.. Then they X2'd it to get 16k for the charity.. Sorry, struck me funny for some reason..
better odds, yea, but would it be a comparable payout, doubtful

i wouldn't drop 170 on it though

better odds, yea, but would it be a comparable payout, doubtful

Hence the risk/prize analysis.

$170 for a ticket, 340 tickets sold, for a prize of $16,000.

So, your chances in the raffle are 1/340 to win $16,000

Your chances in roulette are 1/38 to win $6120 (adding in the 0 and 00 for odds)

So, although you only get 1/3 the prize money, you are 10x more likely to win.

Either way you are gambling and the odds are stacked very heavily against you.

Go for it.

The odds aren't that bad.

If you have the extra cash, do it and the taxes are a non issue. Get a small loan if you don't have cash on hand and then sell the car and you're obviously way out ahead.

go drop the 170 to the indian's table, if you win, then you paypal 36 people (including yourself) a $170 so they paypal the charity for the ticket, and if they win, then they sign the winnings back over to you, or give you the car, and pay the paypal fee's and taxes, sell the car and collect a lump sume that can be used to go play at the indians table for more money...find another charity like this...and repeat. The first 1 in 10 th chance is the hard one....

or have 3-4 people buy 10 yickets, and save on the paypal fee's....

pffft

WAY TO RIP OFF MY IDEA

Actually B, just have a bunch of us send you $5 (34 people), if we win, split it up evenly :D
payout would be near $300
Then if we lose, we're out $5 we'll never remember, but if we win, we'll be up $295 that we'll remember forever.
k i'm in :p

Back