2010 Ford Taurus SHO

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thats like saying people looking for a BMW 5 series or MB E series wouldnt stop and look at a Genesis, which i dont think is the case

I think it's absolutely the case. Well, maybe they would stop and look at a Genesis, but if you're seriously in the market for a Bimmer or Benz, you're not gonna buy a Hyundai. Sorry. That's just the way it is.

I think the Genesis is a great looking car, but it doesn't carry the social status that a lot of people in that market are looking for.

I was happy when I heard about it, I loved the 1st/2nd gen SHOs. The 3.4L V8 ruined the 3rd gen, Ford quality built into Yamaha engines (in japan no less) that would break apart under acceleration. No thanks.

Ford killed the SHO when they eliminated the manual trans option. Those V8's were notorious for blowing up, and many an owner got stuck with a worthless car because Ford didn't want to fix them. If my memory serves me, there were a bunch of them that went fairly soon after the powertrain warranties expired, and Ford just went with the "sorry, not our problem" approach.

Thats like saying people looking for a BMW 5 series or MB E series wouldnt stop and look at a Genesis, which i dont think is the case

Coming from a Mercedes owning asshole. It is 100% the case. I'd never buy a Genesis over a BMW or a MB.

It's bad enough MB owners seem to think Lexus is cheap Japanese crap and laugh at the idea of owning one (when I've talked about IS350s) to try and get them into a Genesis? hahahaha never gonna happen.

Ford killed the SHO when they eliminated the manual trans option. Those V8's were notorious for blowing up, and many an owner got stuck with a worthless car because Ford didn't want to fix them. If my memory serves me, there were a bunch of them that went fairly soon after the powertrain warranties expired, and Ford just went with the "sorry, not our problem" approach.

They wouldn't fix them even if it was under warrenty. They blamed the whole thing on Yamaha.

A neighbor bought one in 99, two months later the cams broke apart. He ended up finally getting it totalled through his insurance company because he was tired of arguing with ford for months on end.

ill stick to my late 80's-late 90's honda and acura

They wouldn't fix them even if it was under warrenty. They blamed the whole thing on Yamaha.

A neighbor bought one in 99, two months later the cams broke apart. He ended up finally getting it totalled through his insurance company because he was tired of arguing with ford for months on end.

Yeah that sounds about right. I remember reading some stuff about it at the time, I was just a little fuzzy on the details.

The problem is, its a ford taurus. The platform sucks, the chassis sucks, the suspension sucks, the steering sucks, the brakes suck.. Its a mass produced people carrier.. A middle of the road not fast not overly slow ho hum nothing mobile, with ho hum looks..

I think automobiles are about passion. A vehicle should be designed to do something and do it well.. To hit a nerve when you are looking at it or using it or driving it.. To create a feeling of connection between you and your vehicle. You can share a common interest and conquer something together.

The ford taurus is just not it. You look at it and you get no feelings, no "wow" no "neet" no "cool".. You get nothing when you drive it. Its just too damn bland. It does a job, it gets you from point A to point B.. Which is great. But I want to be impressed, wowed, moved.. Something... Anything...

Civics are just as bland, and the only reason they're tuner cars is because so many people took an interest in them.

I still get compliments on my bland 9 year old car that hasn't been washed since June 2007.

Civics are just as bland, and the only reason they're tuner cars is because so many people took an interest in them.

I still get compliments on my bland 9 year old car that hasn't been washed since June 2007.

Not true. The styling is better. The design is better. The steering and suspension is better. You are connected to the road. The civic is light, nimble, and fun to drive. It gets great gas mileage and it isn't over complicated and over weight. It is a driver's car. Granted, not the most flashy vehicle out there, it certainly isn't an oval with one flat side and some wheels.

Now go wash your car.

Sorry, but I just simply disagree. There is a design and aftermarket to the SHOs (as I stated the 2nd gens are my favorites, they're lighter) that negate a lot of what you say, which is true for a Civic as well; aka a stock handle for the most part doesn't handle for shit, but of course it's gas mileage is better, compare a 1.6L vs a 3.0/3.2L and the 1.6L always wins... duh. :)

Sorry, but I just simply disagree. There is a design and aftermarket to the SHOs (as I stated the 2nd gens are my favorites, they're lighter) that negate a lot of what you say, which is true for a Civic as well; aka a stock handle for the most part doesn't handle for shit, but of course it's gas mileage is better, compare a 1.6L vs a 3.0/3.2L and the 1.6L always wins... duh. :)

Yeah, but you're comparing the SHO to Civics in general. That's not a fair comparison. The SHO was purposefully built to be a sportier version of the Taurus. If you compare a standard Taurus to a standard Civic, all of what Phyre said is correct. The Civic is definitely more of a driver's car, whereas the Taurus is a mundane A to B hauler...

I'd like to see if this motor would fit in a Focus or a Fusion. Then I'd be interested.

Anyone see that this is still just American car companies not being original but just trying to do what made them cool over 20 years ago? And doing it cheaply because they can't afford to pay their workers and build a car that can be priced competitively.

In 2 different cash for clunker ads I saw a Grand National and an old Full Sized Jeep. I'd rather have either of those than ANY new car made today, let alone just the American cars.

I can honestly say I wouldn't own pretty much any American car made after 1980.

Thats cool, everyone is entitled to their opinions.. So I'm breaking out the facts!

Taurus
$38,000 SHO (base)
AWD
V6 Twin Turbo
365 HP
350 TQ
5.8 seconds to 60.
14.2 Quarter Mile @ 99.1
62.9mph slalom
.80g skidpad

Chassis is slow to respond to steering inputs -- largely due to body motions and momentum. It understeers with steady throttle, and lift-throttle awakens stability control (which cannot be turned off). As a result I had to dial down the speed to keep from arriving late at each cone. Skid pad: Friction-free steering with mild load-up in effort. Just as understeer begins, the very conservative stability control starts grabbing the brakes and pulling back on the throttle. Better tires and the ability to disengage stability control would likely improve results.
2009 Civic Si (2010 numbers not out yet)
$26,880 Si (base)
FWD
2.0l NA
197HP
138TQ
0-60 7.0 Seconds
Quarter 15.3@93.0mph
Slalom 68.8mph
Skidpad .90g

The 2009 Honda Civic's suspension and steering work together seamlessly, giving the car a well-balanced, confident feel on city streets, back roads and highways alike. Even the mainstream models can be described as being somewhat sporty to drive. That task is taken up by the Civic Si. Possessing nimble handling and a delightfully fizzy engine, the Si is one of the few cars available in any price range that makes you want to drive it just for the sake of driving.
Both sets of numbers and driver comments taken from Edmunds inside line.

So what we learn here is, Ford, with an additional $11,000, 170 more horsepower and awd can beat a civic si by 1.1 second in the quarter mile, and beats it to 60mph hands down. Then falls on its ass in the corners, and is miserable to drive.

Last edited:
you haven't washed your car since june 2007?

wtf. i've even washed my truck a few times since then. lol

Anyone see that this is still just American car companies not being original but just trying to do what made them cool over 20 years ago? And doing it cheaply because they can't afford to pay their workers and build a car that can be priced competitively.
I've had to remind people of the ZR1 so many times I should just put it in my signature. You can't deny it performs in a class of cars 2-3 times its price.
In 2 different cash for clunker ads I saw a Grand National...
GRAND NATIONAL!? Those Bastards! I'd give them more than the government would.

I've had to remind people of the ZR1 so many times I should just put it in my signature. You can't deny it performs in a class of cars 2-3 times its price.GRAND NATIONAL!? Those Bastards! I'd give them more than the government would.

You dont even have to go to the ZR1 to make that Argument...The Base Corvette smokes cars that are 5 times its price...let alone the Z06 or the ZR1

I may be wrong here, (I'm not, spend two years on a Mustang board and you'll see) but when someone buys a heavy car with massive power like a new SHO, they're not looking to corner. I know you guys enjoy cornering a lot, but not everyone buys the car for its cornering abilities/lack there of. :)

Which is why I personally think it'd be a fun car. You know it's choked up from the factory like the 03-04 SVT Cobras were. Modifications will make this a sick car on the track.

Last edited:
Back